Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thankful

Last Friday, the kids and I headed to my parents' for a few days. Allen had to work some over the weekend, and since this week was spring break around here all our activities were cancelled. It was just a good time to go spend more than a weekend. Luckily the weather was beautiful, but windy, most of the time we were there. The kids got to spend a lot of time outside, so they were happy. Here are a few pictures from our visit. The kids enjoyed wheelbarrow rides and long walks; they played a lot on the neighbor's bigwheels, playground set, and trampoline; the little ones had their first time out in the canoe and Will had fun boating, too. You can tell spring has sprung in this part of Texas by the bluebonnets that finally popped up from their slumber.
We came home yesterday in cold, rainy weather, but we so so glad to see Allen. Yesterday was his birthday and we celebrated by watching him open presents that ALL had "Will" written on them. After Will helped me wrap them and stick bows on them, I turned my back and he wrote his name very large on each of Allen's gifts. I was frustrated, but it wasn't too big of a deal. He is getting very comfortable labeling things he thinks should be his, or in this case, he wanted all the gifts to be from him.
Today, it is still stormy. I thought it was a good day to throw lots of blankets on the floor and watch movies, but the kids didn't agree. They preferred to take off clothes, climb on tables, stand on the windowsills, bite each other, and throw toys. I did play some, but I spent a good part of the morning trying to deal with the piles of laundry, the mess in the office, the mail sorting, and who knows what else. I am a bit overwhelmed by all of it, but that is probably because the kids are fussy and the weather is dreary. It's a great day for a nap, but I haven't found time for one of my own.

It's funny how some things cross my path when I need them to. Today, I've been stressed, but I got an email from mom about being thankful. Instead of using it word for word, I am rewriting it to fit me and to remind myself how blessed I am.

I am thankful
. . . for the husband who sits around watching sports, because it means he is home with me.
. . . for the five-year old who won't quit tattling, because it means he thinks I can fix everything.
. . . for the dozen diapers that stink up the house each day, because it means we have three healthy toddlers.
. . . for the taxes we pay, because it means Allen has a job.
. . . for the toys that are scattered all over the house, because it means I am surrounded by children.
. . . for the clothes that fit the kids a bit too tight, because it means they have enough to eat.
. . . for the clothes that don't fit me, because it means I've lost the weight I've been wanting to lose.
. . . for the shadows that follow me and watch me work all day, because it means I am in the sunshine.
. . . for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and floors that need mopping, because it means we have a home.
. . . for all the complaining about the government, because it means we have freedom of speech.
. . . for the parking spot at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I can walk.
. . . for a car that needs to be washed and vacuumed, because it means we can afford a vehicle.
. . . for the utility bills that keep coming, because it means we are warm and we have clean water.
. . . for the crying, whining, and bickering, because it means I can hear.
. . . for the piles of dirty and clean laundry, because it means we have clothes to wear.
. . . for the weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means I have been able to work hard.
. . . for my watery eyes and runny nose, because it means the flowers are blooming.
. . . for the dog's barking and the cat's shedding, because it means we are given unconditional love.
. . . for not knowing what is for dinner tonight, because it means we have choices.
. . . for the kids ' loud laughter and giggling that gets out of control, because it means they are happy.

No comments: