Thursday, April 23, 2009

Get Well Soon!

You know I just could go another week without seeing that man. The one with the thinning dark hair. . . the glasses that need to be pushed up a bit. . . the one with the sweet Southern drawl. . . After more than a year with absolutely no contact, I started seeing him again. Four times within a two week period, was just not enough. I just felt lost without having seen him this week, so I found a reason to return.


Have you realized yet, that I'm talking about the pediatrician. . . In my mind, the pediatrician's office is a black hole that sucks time out of the day. No, I really didn't want to go back, but I had to write it in such a way that it sounded better than it really was.


Sunday night, I was feeling the cough coming, then I got a quick fever, then I felt like my throat was on fire, then I couldn't quit coughing, and by morning I had no voice. That is a very frustrating thing for a sick mama who was up all night with a sick kid. It's hard to voice my frustrations without the voice. I coddled Ben, because I knew how much he was hurting. Allen stayed home a bit later that morning so I could rest. Then the kids and I had a lazy day -- I couldn't move much, Ben wasn't wanting to move, and the others were fine playing nearby. Then I started to feel better little by little. Fast forward to this morning, and I had to wake Ben up and I couldn't get him to eat. Since it was the last day I'd get a chance to take him to the doctor without struggling to get everyone there, I made an appointment, and we were there about an hour and a half. Turns out his cold turned into bronchitis.


Here is what tomorrow looks like for nurse mama:
7:30am feed kids breakfast
8:00am breathing treatment for Ben
8:15am breathing treatment for Jon
8:30am antibiotics for Maddie, antibiotics and cough meds for Ben
11:30am feed kids lunch
12:00pm breathing treatment for Ben
12:15pm breathing treatment for Jon
12:30pm antibiotics and cough meds for Ben
1:00 pm naptime for all kids
3:00 pm feed kids snack
4:00 pm breathing treatment for Ben
4:15 pm antibiotics and cough meds for Ben
5:00 pm start dinner
6:00 pm dinner
6:30 pm antibiotics for Maddie
8:00 pm antibiotics and cough meds for Ben, breathing treatment for Ben
8:15 pm breathing treatment for Jon


Hopefully, I won't miss any doses for anyone.
Hopefully, I'll get a full night's sleep tonight.
Hopefully, my head will quit hurting by morning.
Hopefully, Allen will get to come home at a regular time and join us for dinner.
Hopefully, my in-laws will arrive safely.
Hopefully, the weather will be pretty for the March of Dimes walk this weekend.
Hopefully, everyone will be healthy enough to participate.


As tough as my days can be, even with a troop of sick kids, I am so very, very blessed to have them in my life. Overall, they are healthy, and we thank God daily for that blessing. I am walking this weekend with a team of mothers of multiples and our families. Our small team raised nearly $3000 for March of Dimes, and we are all excited to introduce our families to each other and to walk together to support March of Dimes. I'll post more after the walk. . .


Today was Ben's day, but we spent most of the day at the doctor's office. We did get to have lunch with Allen and that cheered Ben up so much. He had been asking all day: Daddy? Daddy at work? Daddy at 'finery? See Daddy? Daddy hungry? Daddy lunch? Daddy work? So we made sure he got to see Daddy. Our next stop was to the pharmacy, and that was the day.

Yesterday was a bit more fun. First, I took the kids to the elementary school and enrolled Will in kindergarten. We dropped off the little ones, Will and I had brunch at IHOP, then we went and saw Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D. What a day for a Mama. The events of the day compared to no other at making me feel like Will is growing up too fast. While I enrolled him in school for the fall, he sat on the couch in that office reading books to Ben, Maddie, and Jon. He helped me get them into their classroom at the church. When we got to IHOP he insisted on holding the door for several ladies, when they thanked him, he politely responded, "You're welcome." When we were seated, he read the menu and ordered for himself. We had a nice conversation, and then some people sat at the table next to us and Will smiled a polite "hello." He turned to ask me a questions and it came out like this: "Mama, why do. . . never mind. . . we'll talk about it later. I had a question for you but I don't want to be rude. (whispering) I was gonna ask why some people are fat." I told him that he was right, we should talk about it later, and I tried to explain how proud I was at his decision-making process. When we got in the car, we finished that conversation. Putting all that together made it clear to me he was growing up quickly.

As I mentioned, we did see Monsters vs. Aliens. Let's just say the movie what you would expect of a movie with a title like that. Will enjoyed it, and I enjoyed his company, but I didn't care for the show. The grown-upness disappeared when I said we were going back to get the kids. He wanted "just one more errand with just us." Part of me was frustrated with the tantrum, but part of me cherished the little-kidness that is still left. We don't have very many more Wednesdays alone, and I hope to make the best of the two we have left.

No comments: