Saturday, November 7, 2009

Morning Glories!

Ben, Maddie, and Jon have been sick this week. Nothing too bad, a little fever, a lot of coughing, a bunch of runny noses, a whole lot of whining and crying, and many, many breathing treatments. Five days of being home with them, when I'm used to one or two days a week has been tough. Their crankiness and lack of sleep was contagious, and we've now gone a whole week without sleeping through the night. We've been awakened for many reasons -- wet sheets, couldn't breathe, lost a monkey, it was too dark, couldn't quit coughing, someone else woke up, and some nights Allen and I were both up multiple times. We've both been tired and struggling to hold on to our health. . . and sanity.

Friday I was bonkers. When the little ones got upset (almost all day long) they pulled on me and cried. When I'd sit to hold one or two, the other(s) would pull on my arms, legs, and clothes, screaming. When I'd get away to use the restroom or bury my head under a pillow, I'd have to lock the door then listen to all three kick and beat on the door until they got tired of that and started kicking and beating each other. I don't know if that made them get louder or not, I was on day three of my ears ringing. I was worn out physically and mentally, so after I picked Will up from school, I drove, and drove, and drove. After an hour, I turned around and headed back.
Saturday was an awesome day, though. My awesome husband gave me a (desperately needed) day off. There isn't much that could've been done to make it better. I slept in until 7:00 when I got Ben and snuggled for awhile. Allen made me breakfast and we had a chance to sit down and enjoy our coffee and eggs together while the kids colored. I scrapbooked for a bit, then took a long, hot shower, while Allen and the kids raked leaves. I took pictures of the kids playing in the leaf-piles in pajamas, then scrapped some more. I had lunch with Allen and the kids, then took a short nap, and scrapped some more. Allen made a fabulous "new" dinner that we all really liked, then Will and I read to the little kids for a while. After the kids were in bed, I scrapped some more. It's been a long time since I've gotten to play and I loved every minute!
There was something pretty special about this week, even if I have been a bit grumpy. The morning glories that we planted last spring are finally in bloom. Each day, there are even more blooms than the day before. The flowers seem to only live in the morning, then they shrivel up and fall off, but when they are in bloom, they are definitely GLORIOUS! . . . oh, and Maddie can sign "I love you!"

(yes, I climbed to the top of fence in my pajamas to get this one.)

No comments: