Saturday, March 24, 2012

One Day at a Time - First week of school

Just a few of my thoughts after one week on the new job:

It is REALLY hard for me to relax.

Since I am working on just one day at a time (prepping the night before), I am frustrated. I am a planner. I could probably tell you what is on the menu for dinner two weeks from now, so this one-day-at-a-time is a challenge for me. I could plan further out since I have curriculum and lesson plans for about a semester, but I don't know what Will has mastered or on what subjects he will need more time. Until I get a better handle on that part, I'm trying to do one day at a time.... and I remind myself of it by singing my new theme song:
One day at a time, sweet Jesus,
That's all I'm asking of you
Just give me the strength
To do every day what I have to do
Yesterday's gone, sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord, help me today, show me the way
One day at a time
Several people have already asked how things are going. I have surprised myself by saying it has been easier than I expected. Before a few weeks ago, I didn't think I had it in me to be a home-school mom, but I guess I've surprised myself with that part, too. Yes, Will tests me...daily... hourly, even. He does the bare minimum and then whines and cries when I have him redo the sentence with correct spelling and punctuation. He throws himself on the floor in a mock-tantrum when I ask him to do math and show his work. He pouts and frowns and grumbles when I ask him to sit still to hear me. Yes, it has been a tough week... BUT, every day started with a prayer asking God to fill me with His love and patience and perseverance, and He gave me what I needed. I did crash each afternoon from exhaustion. I did search the cabinets for a couple chocolate chips to "take the edge off." I did call Allen almost in tears a few times, asking what I had gotten myself into. But, overall, I think it went well. It wasn't much tougher than when I had him do his homework, but this way, we got the power struggles over by lunchtime when I had the energy to handle it.

This week, I think our biggest challenge has been working in the house when Ben, Maddie, and Jon are home. I've put band-aids down where they can reach them because one morning when Will and I were working on math, each of the three came to me twice (so it seemed) bleeding. Every time, it was a minor cut, but they were bleeding just enough that they wanted a band aid. I think we went through a whole box of cartoon bandages in two days, but at least we weren't interrupted again. It is tough for them to understand that I need to work with Will. It is tough for Will to be understanding when they need me for something. I know it will take a few weeks for all of us to be more patient and understanding with this new system. Our second biggest challenge is figuring out how to have productive school days on the days we need to run errands. We'll sort it out somehow.

This weekend, I will look ahead a few days, just to get a little bit of an idea of what is coming. I need to plan ahead just a bit because we will be driving to Waco part of the time, and I need to make sure Will has some independent work for in the car.

No comments: