Driving down to Waco we passed fields of wildflowers, but nothing attracts my attention quite like acres of bluebonnets. The kids oohed and aahed over the hills that seemed to be painted with indigo and asked when we could stop to see some. We continued our journey without stopping, knowing that there would be some near my parents' home.
One evening, while the boys paddled the canoe with Granddad, Maddie and I hiked over to the neighbor's fields to check out the flowers. I took my camera so I could figure out some of the best angles for shooting pictures. Maddie and I walked till we got to the first obstacle: the dam was overflowing to a creek. I found a not-too-muddy spot and sort of swung Maddie over the water to land her in a dry spot. I followed. We walked up the small hill and realized it was covered with poison ivy, so I put her on my back, figured out a way to keep my camera from being kicked, and I went up the small hill toward the flowers. Thankfully, that was the end of the poison ivy. Maddie likes to have her picture taken with flowers, and we had a good time snapping photos in the bluebonnets. We did that for about 15 minutes, but that was enough to get a few cute pictures and to realize that I needed to bring the others over (on another night) a little bit earlier to get the sun in the right position. Here are some of the practice pictures Maddie and I got.
Two nights later, my parents helped me get all four kids to the field of bluebonnets. We bribed the kids with ice cream sandwiches to encourage cooperation (yes, bribery is an acceptable way to get four kids to look the same direction, at the same time, and smile nicely.) I got several photos I really liked, but we all got chewed up by mosquitoes. They all got their ice cream after baths. Thanks for helping me, Mom and Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment