Thursday, March 5, 2009

Objet d'arte

I had a great day with Ben today, but let me start with yesterday's events. . . . We went to MOPS as we normally do twice a month. Yesterday we had a speaker talk about doing art with preschoolers. She told us the best products to have on hand, she gave us project ideas, and she shared ways of working with kids and creations. It was a fun presentation, but I left a bit, well, blue. It is so challenging for me to do art with four kids and only one me. That makes me a bit sad because I love being creative, and I want to share that passion with my kids. Unfortunately, it may have to wait until I have more adult hands around to help or the kids are better at following directions.

However, that is just what my Thursdays are for, right? Today, Ben and I stopped by Hobby Lobby for a few supplies, then detoured to Albertsons for a few groceries. The funny part was two of the Alberson's employees asked where the rest of the crew was. I didn't realize they paid that much attention to us -- sure, I know they notice when three toddlers are there, but when there is only one, I figured we'd be incognito. We rushed home and Ben helped me put away the groceries and we got out the stuff to paint. Armed with some ideas I picked up yesterday, we started our projects.
This first painting was done in a cake pan with paper in it. On the paper we put down three blobs of paint (blue, aqua, and green), then Ben poured marbles into the pan. I showed him how to tip the pan back and forth to make the marbles roll and he got so excited. He loved it!! He loved the colors spreading, he loved the clacking of the marbles, and he loved moving the pan by himself. He finished his painting and picked up each of the marbles and put them in another bowl -- he was so proud of himself for cleaning up, too.
Next was fingerpainting, pure and simple. He dipped his fingers into the gooey paint and his face lit up. He showed me his "meths" and I assured him we'd clean his hands later. It wasn't much longer when he had his palms covered, and then he touched his cheek to see my reaction. I asked him not to paint on Ben, and he went back to the paper. . . . until he patted his bare tummy, and a fraction of a second later, he had red and orange streaks in his hair. I rushed him to the sink for a rinse, then we talked about keeping the paint on paper and went back for one more.
The final objet d'arte was created with paper, paint, marbles, fingers, and a Hot Wheels car to drive through the "mud." We finished up in time for lunch and, somehow, I got him to nap for a bit before we went for the other kids.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a really neat idea to have them paint in a cake pan. Well, an idea any way - keeping the paint contained may not always work out in reality. The pictures Ben made are really nice. Its great that you're encouraging their imagination.
~svk