Monday, June 15, 2009

New word choices

Maddie's new words:
"Heymom" and "Heydad" . . . used like this: "Heydad, hold me please!" and "Good morning, Heymom!" I don't know when I went from being "mama" to "heymom," but I'm not sure I like it. We'll see how it goes.

Ben's new word combo:
"Milkonit" as in "Mama, I want milkonit, please" (in reference to his bowl of cereal.) This is said as all one word, and I often have to ask him to repeat himself because I can't understand what he is saying. Friday was the first time I have ever put milk on Ben's, Maddie's, and Jon's cereal. My pediatrician couldn't believe they didn't have cereal with milk, but he OBVIOUSLY hasn't tried feeding three toddlers while drinking a cup of coffee. So we are on the fourth day of wet, crunchy-turns-slimy breakfasts. They are so happy about it, but they sure take their sweet time eating.

This weekend a friend asked if I was blogging less because I updated Facebook frequently. My response was that I thought I blogged less because the kids aren't napping regularly, but when I looked through some of my Facebook updates, I realized they sometimes say a lot. So, here are my "updates" from the last week for those who aren't Facebooking yet.
  • 6/10 - I have a box of the best toys these kids have EVER played with . . . they were the old ones they outgrew a year ago and were by the door ready to be given to someone else to love.
  • 6/11 - Had high hopes for today, be now we are running two hours behind and the sun hasn't woken up yet. The weather radio kept me up all night, and the triplets were up during the worst part of the storm. Mama is very sleepy so we are making coffee and planning to stay home. On the positive side. . . my garden is blooming and the flowers liked the rain.
  • 6/11 - Disadvantage to checking FB a bit too long -- the triplets got into my bathroom and emptied the cabinets and whatever inside them was empty-able (soap, toothpaste, towels and unmentionables) Advantage -- the soap was all over the floor with their clothes and blankies, so the floor got mopped (with the blankies) and all their lovies got put in the washing machine without a fight.
  • 6/11 - Just got off the phone with mom. Will told her today he needed to go check out hell. She was baffled and asked what he meant. He said, "It's like 'hill' but not a mound of dirt or a mountain." She urged him to continue and he said, "It is the lake of fire where Satan is. I don't want to LIVE there, just go to check it out and see what it looks like."
  • 6/12 - At age 2.5 they are all ready daring each other. . . .to see who can bite the biggest piece of crayon off and eat it. Jon's tongue is blue and Ben's is orange. Maddie says Jon ate more. I wonder how long until I hear, "Mama, my tumby hurts."
  • 6/15 - It's too hot to have been outside all morning, but the kids enjoyed day 1 (of 5) at the zoo. Now I need to get the kids to sleep (again) so I can get a few things done. Foxtrotting tonight and looking forward to it!
Saturday, my parents met us near Arlington and we brought our big boy home. Since it wasn't any more of a drive to go that way for us or them, we decided to get Will then head to a camera store to check out the camera bags. I think we are going to love using the Tamrac backpack we chose -- I love that it has a day-pack and camera bag in one piece. On a whim we called Chris & AnnaLisa to see if they were available for lunch. They went to college with Allen and me, and it was great to get to visit with them and their pretty little girl. We survived eating out with five children between the ages of 2 and 5, and all four of ours slept all the way home.

Sunday started out just grumpy for me. We are all struggling to rediscover our "normal" now that Will is home and he is retesting the limits. Allen and Will rode around the block on the bike, then came home and worked on throwing and catching the baseball. The little kids and I got really, REALLY messy while Allen &Will were out -- we painted the porch with sidewalk chalk, but it made a mess that was BEAUTIFUL!! We wet the pavement, then chalked on it and it looked like watercolors when it was really wet, but like paint if it was just damp. Then we all got the water-table and frisbees out and played all day in the sunshine. When it was time to clean up, we just tossed the kids in the pool with some water, told them to jump and splash, and called them clean enough for dinner. It was a really fun day even though it started out rough. Allen and I got the kids in bed and played board games and then RockBand for awhile. I don't normally enjoy RockBand because I'm not a fan of most rock music, but we added a few Jimmy Buffett songs to the mix and I was singing at the top of my lungs.

Today, Will had his first day of zoo camp. This week he will be at the day camp every morning, and since the zoo is across town, Ben, Maddie, Jon and I will be near there, too. I had the backpack tethers on the toddlers and I had a Radio Flyer wagon with me so I wouldn't have to carry anyone if they got tired. They rode just a little bit, but mostly they walked. Since they did so well at staying near me and stopping and going on command, I never had to use the leashes -- they just stayed tucked away inside the backpacks. We had a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to it again tomorrow.

On the way to the zoo this morning, I was reminded why it seems so much quieter when Will isn't around. . . he doesn't stay quiet for long. He talked and talked and talked and talked all the way there, but at least the story was entertaining. It seems that Shraman has been visiting, and we didn't even know it. Will told me that he and Shraman have been waiting until everyone is asleep at night, then they get up and drink lots of coffee so they can stay up all night watching movies. What kind of movies? "Something called Brown Dove, it is a Spanish movie about Mexico and the foods they eat and the things they do in Mexico, where Shraman lives when he isn't living with us." When I asked Will why I didn't wake up when they were watching the shows, he told me he was drinking inflexible coffee and watching inflexible movies. I opened my eyes wider, and pointed my good ear toward Will, hoping to catch a clue as to what he was talking about. When that didn't work, I asked what he meant by inflexible and he said that meant I couldn't SEE it. I asked, "Do you mean invisible? That is something you can't see." I then explained what inflexible meant and he said, "Well, yes. The movies were invisible, but the coffee was still inflexible because he couldn't bend it or move it." This conversation about his adventures with Shraman lasted the entire 30 minutes, and I'm not sure whether it was the story or the three hours in the sun that wore me out faster. (For those who aren't familiar with Shraman, he is Will's imaginary friend that helped us move from Kansas to Texas two summers ago. He stayed with us for several months, but when his parents died in Mexico, he moved back there and only writes on occassion. It is nice that he's come for a visit, and it will be interesting to see how long he hangs around. He may have been here all last week living in Will's room, I'm just not sure.)

No comments: