May ended with a sick little boy, and the first week of June had all four kids sick. I had the perfect plans for the week, but only got to pull off a smooth Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday was spent with way too much Sesame Street, Wiggles, and Little Einsteins as I was filling each day with as many as ten breathing treatments, dosing antibiotics, and going through two boxes of kleenex. In between, I was cuddling and calming all four kids or trying to get them to relax enough to quit coughing and get some rest. I got a bit more of the laundry-monster tamed, and am slowly, but surely, regaining contol of it. We read a lot of books this week, and I am thrilled that Will can help me by reading to the little ones.
Thursday evening we went to Waco for the weekend to visit my parents and drop Will off for a week of "Camp Grandparents." On the way, we had to find a gas station with an easy-to-reach outlet so we could give Maddie a breathing treatment. Although we had some cranky-kid moments over the weekend, they all seemed to feel great Sunday morning and that was our first day of the last ten that we didn't need the nebulizer. The weekend was pretty laid-back. The kids got to pick flowers, play in the water, and catch bugs. Allen and I shopped for a camera case and got to go on a kid-free date. We had a tasty dinner, strong margaritas, then spent a few hours at Barnes & Noble with coffee and books.
We took the kids swimming in the lake . . . well, the boys swam while Maddie sat on the shore admiring her pretty pink sun hat, her ruffled swimsuit, and her painted toes. She called her suit the "princess fish" suit because it had ruffles and fish on it. Each time we invited her to join us in the water, she turned up her nose and said, "No swim in dirty water!" She insisted that the water was dirty and even complained to me when she got splashed that she had "dirty WET" on her arm. At least the boys enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see what they think of the ocean when we visit it later this month.
Saturday, the kids donned life vests and got to ride in the canoe. All four love the canoe and like to drag their fingers through the water. 
After that, we got everyone cleaned up and visited the zoo. We came home from the zoo exhausted and I think everyone napped for a long time. Allen and I came home Saturday night with the triplets. The drive seemed particularly long to me since the kids were picking on each other, fussing, crying, and doing eveything possible to frustrate everyone in the car. Sunday was an fun day for me. I let Allen sleep in a bit, then I got to go to a friend's house to scrap with my buddies for most of the day. I put a big dent in my scrappy to-do list, and I had great company. I came home refreshed and excited to scrap some more.
Last night I talked to Will on the phone and, in the same sentence, he bragged that he caught five fish, but he doesn't like swimming anymore because he sinks. He hurried through our "good-night, I love you's" because he was ready to go catch fireflies. This morning the three little kids woke up in good moods, their appetites have returned, and they played hard all morning. Now they are all napping while I catch up.
No comments:
Post a Comment