Saturday, May 5, 2012

Coming of Age

All in one week:

Will rode his bike without training wheels on Monday FINALLY! ... as in we finally convinced him to try with them off. Since all his riding-mates are siblings with training wheels, it has been a challenge to convince him to try to take them off. Friends came on Sunday with all their bikes, and when he realized his buddy didn't have training wheels, he was ready to try. It only took an evening of a few chin-plants in the neighbor's lawn to figure it out.
Ben lost his first tooth on Thursday! The tooth had been holding on for quite a while, but it was too small for me to grip the few times he bravely asked me to try to pull it. Thursday morning, Ben had been in the bathroom a really long time. When he came out, he held a pile of kleenex against his mouth, and tried to sneak away. I asked what was going on, and he burst into uncontrollable sobs. He eventually calmed down enough to show me a trail of blood that happened when he ran into the closet door. His tooth was still in but bleeding a bunch, and I think all the blood scared him. His lower middle tooth was barely hanging on, but he wouldn't let me touch it. He clung to a pile of paper towels all morning, and when it was time for preschool, I gave him a baggie and a clean set of paper towels. As he switched the towels, I noticed the tooth was out, but he started bawling again when I told him. I excitedly raced for a mirror and the tooth-fairy pillow, and ramped up the cheeriness to way-beyond-normal. He calmed down and smiled, put the tooth in the baggie, then went out to the car to brag to his siblings. What drama!!

No comments: