Sunday, June 17, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Just a warning, I am finally finding time to try out many of the recipes I've found through Pinterest, an online bulletin board full of ideas. I will likely be posting our favorite recipes soon, even though its been a long time since I've put some on the blog. I often make some substitutions to others' recipes so  the food on our table is as healthy as I can make it and still keep it tasty. Here is a casserole that I assumed I'd have left overs, but the kids fought over the last bites. They loved it! I loved it! Even Allen, who usually doesn't like spaghetti squash, enjoyed it. The original recipe is here, but I changed a few things, and I'm adding it to my list of recipes because I know I'll make it again and again.

Spaghetti Squash Casserole
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • 1 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

 
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste. Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl. Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place into a 375ยบ for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top. My tummy is growling just typing this recipe.

1 comment:

Emerson and Cassandra said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been wondering what to do with the squash I'll be getting from the food co-op. Looks delish!