Sunday, July 1, 2012

All Through June: Status Updates

Some of our day-to-day activities, photos, thoughts, and Facebook status updates from the last few weeks:

June 2 - Saw the sun rise with my family, picked blueberries for three hours, finished ice-cream and muffin for breakfast #2, and got back on the road just as temps hit low 80s. Productive way to spend 5-10am on a Saturday morning.

June 2 - We picked blueberries, I bought and replanted about 35 plants, I even got the freezer restocked and saved more than $100 at the store. Sweet kind of a day!

June 3 - Menu for tonight uses up the end of our 2-wks of produce and fresh herbs from the garden: marinated grilled pork chops, cucumber salad with Greek yogurt dressing, and sweet potatoes with orange-thyme butter.

June 4 - Survived our first day of VBS with 17 8-year olds (11 of them are boys). I am always nervous going into the week, but it's already so much fun. I need that many kids to fool me into believing four at home are "quiet."

June 6 - Zippidy Do Dah! We had 19 kids and 2 teens today. :) Somehow it went better than yesterday, though. Aiming for two dozen for tomorrow.

June 12 - The boys have been busy. I may need to pad the wall before the train starts it's run.
June 12 - Day of construction: 3 boys building with Lego, 1 boy with Geotrax, 1 boy with Polly Pockets, 2 girls with girly Legos. Surprisingly quiet with 7 kids in the house.

June 12 - The kids often let the flies in. Flies drive me crazy. Inspired by the darn bugs, Will got a Venus fly trap... And named it. The plant is still a baby, and just got it's "jaws" today. Yet... The kids now INTENTIONALLY leave the door open... Why? "So flies come in and Sarlac can eat and grow." There are flies EVERYWHERE because they are bigger than the plant that is in a lidded terrarium. Quite frustrating. ...  It came with a pitcher plant... Maybe that can be Audrey II :) kids keep looking at me oddly when I say, "feed me, Seymour!" in a weird voice. Maybe THAT'S why they leave the door open :)

June 13 - I was hungry for sweets. I resisted. I had a large glass of water and went to decorate my garden fence since my last scripture washed off. I always forget how much fun chalk can be!

June 14 - Ben: MAMA!! Jon put his finger in MY mouth and I made it slobbery. ... I'm mad that he put his wet finger in MY ear!!

June 14 - Maddie: I AM IN BED NOT MAKING ANY NOISE!!!... shouting heard twice from upstairs, at the other end of the house. Oh, the irony....

June 15 - Will spent another week at a VBS with friends. We finished the week playing with his friends and their families (now official OUR friends) at the spray park, then we tried to be hidden as we searched for a letterbox. It's hard to be "hidden" when our group looks like we belong on Captain Kangaroo with five adults and ten children.

June 15 - Spent the evening with my girl friends and their families. We celebrated Simone's birthday with a rainbow cake. On the way home, our family stopped to watch an awesome lightning show in the sky. What a fun day!

June 16 - Note to self: when riding my bike without a target destination, turn around and head home just before the burn begins. At least I can count it as a workout, since I had to keep enough of a speed to keep my sunglasses from fogging. Completed about five miles!

June 17 - From Allen: What can we learn from this? Ben doesn't like buttoning shirts. Jon is a helpful sort. Maddie is stronger than she looks. Everyone pitches in to get us to church on time.

June 18 - Is it a bad thing that I know the ER staff by name without reading name tags? A rough (long) evening ended with some priceless moments with my niece, a tummy full of steroid, and now lots and LOTS of little girl giggles as the clock approaches midnight.

June 21 - New recipes this week had my kids fighting over the last of the baked kale and spaghetti squash casserole. Tonight 3 of the 4 enjoyed roasted zucchini topped with Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, and just a bit of mozzarella. It's so much easier to eat heathy foods when the kids enjoy them, too!

June 22 - Sialia still thinks she needs to sit upon these eggs that should've hatched a month ago. :( I'm just glad to have her nearby :)
I spoke too soon! She has laid four more and added them to the first four. That's a lot of eggs!

June 26 - Planning to chill for a day and a half while Allen is here for meetings. Too hot to be on the balcony, though.


June 27 - This is really the best way to have a vacation. I planned on paying for my meals, but the company sponsoring Allen's conference covered all the wives meals, too. Since we drove here, I was only out the cost of the pedicure, and I loved spending the afternoon at the spa -- steaming, massage chairs, rainfall showers, and finishing up a good mystery novel.

June 28 - It is definitely easier to shop for a vehicle without kids, but I really hate shopping for cars.
 
June 29 - The quiet has been nice. I've read several books and caught up on my Bible study and blog. I'm ready for my kids' hugs now, though. I'm excited to see them tonight -- not so excited about three hours on the road.

June 30 - We spent the weekend with my parents. Dad and I spent most of his birthday (today) together working on business stuff, talking about the past, talking about the future. The kids enjoyed fishing and swimming in the lake. The boys are all getting to be pretty confident in the water. Will was excited to show me he could jump off the dock and swim.

No comments: