Friday, March 8, 2013

Backyard Birds - Early March

After a few days of playing with my new camera, I have several pictures of birds that have been in our backyard. Since I've posted many pictures of nest-building the last couple years, I'll spare you the everyday snapshots, but .... in case you wanted just a peek into the wooden abode....
Within one week of putting out the second bluebird house, we already have our new family nesting. Here is a picture of this season's Sialia (the name we have chosen for the female Eastern bluebird).
This pair of mourning doves has made themselves at home in our garden. Though they were perched in this tree all day when I took the picture, later in the week, the pair would just rest under the birdbath in the garden.
One afternoon, Ben and Jon rushed into the house to tell us excitedly that there was a hawk in the yard. We couldn't tell from the yard what kind it was, but when Allen and I compared the photo to the bird guides, we decided it was probably a red-tailed hawk. Part of me stood in awe as it was perched overhead... part of me hoped it would leave without noticing all my avian friends.who are calling our yard home for a few months.

No comments: