Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Birds of Uganda

I am still a fan of birds even though it's been a long while since I've posted pictures. In fact, I've been painting one for our living room -- strange? maybe, but it makes me laugh.

When I was visiting with a friend who had been to Uganda, I asked her about the birds. She said she didn't remember any except a few at the hotel. When the Uganda kids were here in Texas, they acted as if they had never seen bugs, so I started wondering if there really weren't birds there. Once I got there, though, I realized they are everywhere as long as I kept looking.

The first couple days, I went to the courtyard in the morning and saw many, though the photos didn't always come out as well as I hoped. Some of the biggest birds I've ever seen were around the lake -- Marabou storks! They reminded me of grandpa's with the pocked pink faces with grayish white whisps on their heads. They stood at least as tall as me, though I didn't want to get quite close enough to compare... they didn't want me getting that close either. Check out the photo of my foot next to one of their feathers on the ground.
Marabou stork
There were also some interesting nests in the trees on the lake shore. One morning I actually captured a picture of the pretty yellow weavers that were living in them.
Each morning I was searching for birds at our hotel, I found at least one new type. I had to wait until I got home to identify them all though.
Sacred ibis
Gray heron
Hadada ibis
African openbill
African thrush
Pied crow
African pied wagtail
Woodland kingfisher
Glossy starling (Cape or Principe?)
We saw birds at the schools, but not too often. Usually, we were at the schools in the middle of the day when the birds weren't as active. Other times, we were just too busy for me to notice the birds when I was surrounded by children who made me even happier! (The dove nesting in the rafters of a schoolroom kept us hopping all day. We had to keep moving boxes as she kept pooping on them.)
Heuglin's weavers
Laughing dove ... (and it likely WAS laughing at US)
Nearly every day began and ended at Pastor Emmy's home. Almost every time we stopped there, this beauty greeted us - the Gray-crowned crane is the Uganda national bird. One day I decided to see how close I could get to the bird that is around four feet tall. Another time, I got really brave and got the camera in its face as it perched on top of a minivan. It wasn't thrilled that I got so close and it tried to wave me away with a wingspan of probably six or seven feet. That's how I got some of my favorite bird pictures in Uganda.
This is the one that inspired my painting
The day we went on safari is the day I felt like I struck jackpot with my bird list. I was beyond thrilled that the nature guide at Queen Elizabeth National Park was excited to have someone to share her knowledge with. Though my new friends teased me about my love for taking bird pictures throughout the week, they all soon realized how neat it could be to spot the brilliant flashes of color in flight, and it ended up being a contagious excitement to spot another bird.
Pied kingfisher
Pied kingfisher
Egyptian geese
Spur-winged lapwing
Water thick-knees
Yellow-billed stork with cape buffalo
Sacred ibis
Hadada ibises
Hammerkop
Gray headed kingfisher
Malachite kingfisher
Reed cormorant
Hadada ibis
White-breasted cormorant
Barn swallows
Lesser masked weaver
African dusky flycatcher
Olive bee-eater
Pink-backed pelican
African fish-eagle
African Pygmy kingfisher
Yellow-billed stork
African jacana
African jacana
When I got home, I spent quite a bit of time going through the African wildlife book I bought at the airport. I compared the pictures in the book to my photographs, and even had to rely on the internet to help me identify a few I took pictures of that didn't make it to the wildlife guide. In the end, not all my pictures were nice enough to bother sharing. To the best of my knowledge, these are the birds I saw in Uganda:
  1. Great white pelican
  2. Pink-backed pelican
  3. White-breasted cormorant
  4. Reed cormorant
  5. Gray heron
  6. Goliath heron
  7. Purple heron
  8. Yellow-billed egret
  9. Cattle egret
  10. Little egret
  11. Hammerkop
  12. Yellow-billed stork
  13. Marabou stork
  14. African openbill
  15. Sacred ibis
  16. Hahada ibis
  17. Egyptian goose
  18. African fish-eagle
  19. Gray-crowned crane
  20. African jacana
  21. Black-capped avocet
  22. Water thick-knee
  23. Speckled moosebird
  24. Malachite kingfisher
  25. African pygmy kingfisher
  26. Gray headed kingfisher
  27. Woodland kingfisher
  28. Shining blue kingfisher
  29. African dusky flycatcher
  30. Olive bee-eater
  31. African pied wagtail
  32. African thrush
  33. Red-billed firefinch
  34. Heuglin’s weaver
  35. Lesser masked weaver
  36. Pied crow
  37. Glossy starling (either Cape or Principe variety)
  38. Laughing dove
  39. Barn swallows
  40. Spur-winged lapwing

No comments: