How many eleven year old boys do you know who ask Mama to serve sushi when he has a birthday party with friends? Our kiddo did!
Will had two friends -- Ben and Erik -- for an overnight. Usually, he asks for pizza or something similarly unhealthy for a birthday party, but this time he really wanted sushi. After checking with the parents to see if there were allergies, I learned that both his friends were willing to try anything at least once. That meant we could branch out a bit for the menu. Allen picked up pizza in case the boys needed more to eat than just sushi, but also because we didn't know if they would like it or not.
After dinner, Will blew out the candles on his Tardis cake. This one I did make, and it turned out to be much more challenging than I expected. The lines were all supposed to be really straight, but the new recipe I tried for buttercream really didn't like to be so straight. Oh well -- the Dr. Pepper and chocolate cake was quite tasty and it did look like the Doctor Who phone booth so the boys thought it was pretty neat.
All the boys (plus Ben, Maddie, and Jon) were up to another challenge: soda pop taste testing.
Bacon soda - six thumbs down, that stuff was awful!!
PB & J soda - I think there were two thumbs up. After the Bacon flavor, no one thought PB & J was too bad, but no one liked it enough to get it again, either.
Christmas mint soda - four thumbs up. It tasted like fizzy mouthwash, so not something I want again, but not as bad as the other two.
Honey Cream - six thumbs up and EVERYONE wanted more of it. That one was tasty!
Will and his friends played with Nerf guns for a while, watched an episode or two of Doctor Who, and stayed up really late talking and playing. Will was really happy to have time with his buddies and it was an added bonus that he got to celebrate his birthday again.
No comments:
Post a Comment