On Saturday, February 14th, the kids and I went out for breakfast and to run a few errands to keep the house quiet.
Friday, February 20th, was Sock Hop day at Ben's and Maddie's school. We borrowed a fifties skirt from a friend, so Maddie was ready to go. We slicked Ben's hair back, but by the time I picked him up, it looked like he had been through a tornado and it was everywhere.
Winter weather hit East Texas on Monday, the 23rd. Jon and Will started school at 8:00am, so I took them to school, then headed back to get groceries with Ben and Maddie who didn't start school until 10:00am. I dropped them off at 9:40 just as a friend was calling to tell me roads in Tyler were getting bad and that I might consider picking up the boys soon since they were about to take attendance. As I pulled out of the school parking lot, she called back to say that the boys' school was calling it a day at 10:00am. I headed north to get the boys and there was a clear line of where the roads changed conditions. I picked them up and the kids of a friend who lives not too far from the school. On the way out of their neighborhood, I got stuck on a hill and had to back down, turn around, and find another way because the roads were already icy. I found a mostly downhill path home, but it took almost an hour to get home... a very stressful hour! I decided I didn't want to do this again later, so I headed straight back to Maddie's and Ben's school to check them out early. As I was going up the hill of the school, I got stuck for a short time, but then got the call that their school was sending kids home at noon. In the end, I checked them out about 20 minutes early, but so did LOTS of people. We ended up calling off scouts for the night, and planned on camping out at home. Not long into the evening, the schools called to tell us there would be a two hour delay for Tuesday, so the kids were getting excited. I spent the afternoon decompressing and cuddling Ramses. He kept his paw on my arm most of the time... I always thought he did that to pet me like I pet him.
Allen headed into work early and took a suitcase and sleeping bag in case he ended up stuck at work due to bad roads. Imagine our joy when he called to say he was heading home and would be there for dinner! The refinery called off the night work due to the weather conditions and all six of us were happy about that. He picked up dinner and dessert on the way home and we had an unplanned birthday party. Dinner was full of laughter (and a bit too much silliness) and we were all in great moods.
My birthday was a little bit blue since we didn't see Allen at all that day. Since the kids' schools all had delayed starts, Will and Jon had to stay until 2:30 (usually I pick them up at 12:15). I ended up helping a friend whose sitter couldn't come due to weather. I stayed with two little toddler angels for an hour, then I met Ema for a sweet birthday lunch. Allen had a conference call for the short time he was home and awake, so I was a bit sad. The weather was getting bad again, and school ended up cancelled for Wednesday.
Just a little bit of snow ended up in our yard, but it was enough for the kids to play in for awhile. Then they ended up cold and sopping wet and realized it wasn't fun anymore.
The snow melted off by late afternoon. We enjoyed a lazy day reading or playing Legos by the fire, and I even swaddled Ramses so he could enjoy it -- snuggling in front of the fire is one of his favorite things to do. I did something "crazy" (for me): everytime the kids asked if they could have hot cocoa, I said, "yes!"
Sadly, Ramses took his last breaths after Allen left for work that night, but just before the kids went to bed. Though I knew it was coming, I still had such a broken heart. As I sobbed, the kids called Allen and asked him to come home. We buried our Sweet Gray Thursday after school. Losing two long-loved kitties in two weeks has been really hard on our hearts, but I am glad they will be together wherever it is that pets go when they leave this world.... but still... it hurts... a lot.
Saturday, Maddie and I attended a Mother and Daughter Tea Party with our AHG troop. We intentionally chose dresses that would look pretty together in a picture... then never ended up with a picture. We had a really nice time, though!
And now we are heading into March! We really miss Allen being part of our family activities. He has been working for five weeks straight with just one night off each two weeks (two nights in the last 5 weeks). We have done our best to adjust -- bumping up dinner to about 4:45pm so we could all eat together, Allen and I going on dates those two nights off, the kids and I trying to stay busy away from the house on weekend. But... we are ALL weary. Allen is exhausted with his really long hours and the rest of us miss him and aren't sleeping the same as when he is home. Hopefully, we will be back to our normal life soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment