We had a wonderful Christmas day. It was definitely full of the joy, hope, and love we wish for loved ones at Christmastime! Will had gotten up several times during the night and Allen found him standing in the middle of the living room with his mouth open in awe at the sight Santa left behind. I know of at least twice he was sent back to bed, then Allen and I were up to make breakfast. I felt a little guilty being up before the kids since it seems like parents being awake already takes a little of the magic out of the childhood Christmas morn. Regardless, we had early work to do so we could relax the rest of the day. In the end, it was just fine, we just hid until the kids each discovered the piles of gifts. And they were still thrilled to tell us all about it!

We let the kids open their stockings and Santa gifts while our cinnamon monkey bread was baking. Will found a toy motorcycle in his stocking, but as soon as he unwrapped the
Playmobil dragon he exclaimed it was the best Christmas ever and he already had everything he ever wanted (the motorcycle and the dragon.) Maddie was really excited about her Disney Princess tea set, Jon liked his police-car
GeoTrax vehicle, and Ben's reaction to opening the remote-controlled Mater
truck was priceless: "I got Mater! I got Mater! I got Mater! I got Mater! I got Mater! I got Mater!" After breakfast, we opened more gifts and the kids did really well. Yes, it did get chaotic at times, but the kids knew to hold the gift and smile for a picture then to pick up all the trash before the next gift was to be opened. Ben was extraordinarily sweet saying, "Thank you," after opening each gift and rushing around to pick up
everyone's trash with a smile. Nana and Papa arrived just before lunch, so there was another round of
opening just before we sat to eat.









Lunch was our main meal, I suppose. We had a big breakfast, so I didn't want to rush into a ton more food, but I still managed to overeat. We had delicious ham and corn chowder with salad and freshly baked whole wheat bread. Dessert was apple pie a la mode, but Maddie and Ben asked to be excused to go nap before we served it. Surprisingly, they both went straight to bed on their own while we continued to dine. While the kids napped, Allen and Randy assembled three big-wheels and a big-kid bike so that after
nap time we could all go for a ride (or walk).


After our ham-sandwich dinner, Randy and Shelley headed home and Allen and I tucked the kids in, worn out after such an exciting day. As I kissed each one good-night, I asked the kids what their favorite gifts were. When I asked Ben what his favorite part of the day was, he told me the presents. When I asked
which presents, he answered, "The presents that were for ME!" At the end of the day, the little kids' favorites were the bikes and the calculators (so they may be a bit nerdy like their parents, so be it.)

No comments:
Post a Comment