Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time Machine Destination - Will's Birthday

December 2nd was Will's sixth birthday. Everyone warned me when Will was a newborn that time would fly. It isn't that I doubted it, but that was the time in our life where sleepless nights were the norm and the end wasn't in our sights. It takes these annual celebrations to notice that time does, in fact, fly. Someone once defined it perfectly for us: long days, fast years.

Somehow the fact that Will's birthday was on a Wednesday went below our radar for awhile. Allen called me Monday and asked if we could get a sitter so we could go to a Christmas party with some people he works with. Sure. No problem. Tuesday, I was going about my normal day, telling Grandma Ann about our Wednesday. As I told her our sitter was coming at 6, I realized that the party was on Wednesday and Will's birthday was on the 2nd; that was the first time I realized they were the same day. Without causing any trouble we just altered our plans a bit. The sitter came at 6 and kept the three younger ones; Allen and I took Will out to celebrate his birthday, and we had a few more options for restaurants. He chose Shogun for dinner and Andy's Custard for dessert.
Saturday, all the family came for a birthday lunch of pizza and cookie cake. It was the first birthday cake I didn't make, but its what he requested. He enjoyed the day, and this year his favorite gift was a doo-dad from Grandma Ann (see photo below). As soon as he opened the toy, he shouted joyfully, "OH, WOW!! An INVENTION!! I always wanted one of those!!"Some of the gift he received include a ball net, a sleeping bag and air mattress, clothes, a puzzle, BrainQuest, a Barnes & Noble gift card, a Nerf basketball and net, a Playmobil knight and castle, books, dictionaries, and a movie.
After all the little kids laid down for naps, Will and his two Uncle Jasons (or is it Uncles Jason?) played ball in the backyard.
... then after all the family left, our crew got in pajamas and had a picnic dinner on the living room floor while we watched the movie "Up." He really enjoyed his day!

1 comment:

Aja Jenise said...

He sure is a handsome man... my how he has grown up.