Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Birthday Celebration

What a DAY!! It started with Daddy making pancakes just because Will likes them. Then, Allen and Will headed for the community Christmas Parade. As soon as they left, the little ones and I started walking to the parade. This is the first time we didn't all go together, but it was the first time Will got to be in it, too. Will's Cub Scout troop had a float for the kids and the parents walked along beside it. It was a gorgeous day for a parade and Ben, Maddie, and Jon started out with plenty of energy. We walked about half a mile (which is a long way to keep up with short people and trying to hold all three hands without tripping.) We got settled in just a few minutes before the parade started. The kids enjoyed seeing all of the parade, and I expected they would LOVE seeing Will and Daddy. Though they did wave and shout their names, it was Santa and Mrs. Claus that got them really excited (of course, the firetruck they were riding was pretty exciting, too.)
Nana and Papa were at our home when we got home from our long walk. Somehow it seemed twice as long walking back even though it was the same distance. Shortly after that, Gramma and Granddad got here, too. We had an oh-so-yummy lunch. Will requested gyros, and since that is one of my favorite meals, he didn't have to ask twice. Will opened gifts and some of the presents he got were a puzzle, Lego Creationary (game), a bunch of gear for camping (mess kit, canteen, compass, etc.), a Cub Scout book and belt, a lot of great books, and a Barnes & Noble gift card.
He asked for a carrot cake and for the decoration all he would say is that it had to have a carrot on it. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of a plain ole' cake with a carrot for my seven year old boy, so I made a rocket ship. Since I forgot until the very end that he asked for a carrot on it, I quickly added the blue carrot to the wing (lower right). Will thought that was hilarious, and I think he was thrilled that I listened to him (whew!!) The little kids napped, while Nana, Gramma, Daddy, Will, and I played his new Lego game. It wasn't long till Papa and Granddad were snoozing...then Nana. I think we were all worn out. We had tortilla soup for dinner, then all the kids crashed early...which meant I could, too. What a day!! ... but Will had a blast, and that's what counts.
Now we are back to nursing another fever -- the third this week, and this time it's Maddie's turn. I'm bummed that we'll miss church again, but T'is the season,... at least in this family.

No comments: