Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Need a Silent Night

So far, this week has been sort of a scaled-back version of last week. Monday we were home most of the day, but had lunch with my parents. That night, Will and Allen went to Cub Scouts. Tuesday, the kids were all in school, I went to the little kids' Christmas program (that's another story), met with a friend for coffee, and had our book club meeting (with party and book swap). As I was driving home Tuesday night, I was thinking about the story I'd be telling at MOPS early on Wednesday. Just as the snowball of "What-on-Earth-have-I-gotten-myself-into" started rolling, I heard a beautiful song on the radio. It was on the Christmas Carols station, but I haven't ever heard it. It calmed me, refocused me, and stayed with me all night. This morning I found myself humming it and decided to look it up. It still speaks perfectly for me, because, I need a Silent Night...

I Need A Silent Night by Amy Grant


I've made the same mistake before
Too many malls, too many stores
December traffic, Christmas rush
It breaks me till I push and shove
Children are crying while mothers are trying
To photograph Santa and sleigh
The shopping and buying and standing forever in line
What can I say?

I need a silent night, a holy night
To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise
I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here
To end this crazy day with a silent night

December comes then disappears
Faster and faster every year
Did my own mother keep this pace
Or was the world a different place?
Where people stayed home wishing for snow
Watching three channels on their TV
Look at us now rushing around
Trying to buy Christmas peace

I need a silent night, a holy night
To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise
I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here
To end this crazy day with a silent night

What was it like back there in Bethlehem
With peace on earth, good will toward men?
Every shepherd's out in the field
Keeping watch over their clock by night
And the glory of the Lord shone around them
And they were so afraid
And the angels said, "Fear not for behold
I bring you good news of a great joy that shall be for all people
For unto you is born this day a Savior, who is Christ the Lord
And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace"

I need a silent night, a holy night
To hear an angel voice through the chaos and the noise
I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here
To end this crazy day with a silent night
To end this crazy day with a silent night

No comments: