Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Breakfast Treat

Each year, going way back to when we lived in West Texas 10+ years ago, we make an Egg Nog French Toast Casserole for New Years' breakfast. The first year I combined a few recipes -- on was a baked casserole, the other had the egg nog, we added the Southern Comfort because we liked baking some other things with it. After that, we just whipped it up, guessing on amounts, but never really using a recipe. We like it so much that I decided to make it this time, but keep a list of how I made it. I am SO glad I wrote it down this time, because it was definitely our favorite AND the first time we added the praline topping. Now I'm sharing it with you in hopes that I actually DID write all the steps. Next year (or rather at the very end of this year) I will make it again but follow the recipe...maybe.

Egg Nog French Toast Casserole

Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
Slice 1 large loaf French bread on bias about 1.5" thick (slightly shorter than the baking dish).
Fill baking dish with sliced bread. Overlap diagonal edges and fit bread snuggly in baking dish.
Let bread sit out for a few hours to dry out or hurry it along by lightly toasting at 250-degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Mix together
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups dairy egg nog
  • 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup Southern comfort (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Pour mixture over bread, cover, *refrigerate overnight*

 
Praline topping
Mix together with fork or food processor until crumbly
  • 1 stick butter at room temperature
  • ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Stir in
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 2TB Southern comfort (optional)

Mixture will be sticky.
Cover and refrigerate until ready for next step.

 
Just before baking, crumble and spread praline topping evenly over bread mixture.

Bake at 350-degrees for 35-40 minutes until fork inserted in bread comes out clean.

Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
 

No comments: