Saturday, October 1, 2011

Family Portraits: Through the Eyes of the Four-Year Olds

Ben, Maddie, and Jon all had a preschool assignment to draw a picture of their families. I really am fascinated by how different the same family can look through different eyes.
Ben described his drawing: "This is my monster family." From left to right, he explains, is Mama, Daddy (with glasses,) Ben (with lots of teeth and big hair,) Will (with spikey hair,) Maddie (top right,) and Jon.

Maddie explains hers, "That is Ben, Jon, Me, Daddy, and Mommy. We have six people and I drew five accidently. Will is just hiding and I need my crayons." Check out our feet! She is very much into painted toenails right now, so I expect when she adds Will to the picture, she may paint her toes.

Jon was nice enough to label the boys. He was too busy to sit and tell me about the picture. Maddie is at the top center with the long hair. Daddy is the tall one next to Mama (far right). As I was writing this, Jon edited his picture, too. He picked a different person to be Mama, and said, "I am making you a beautiful pirate, Mom. But you are prettier than my picture. Can I have special privileges since you are so pretty and I am so sweet?"

No comments: