Monday, October 17, 2011

The REAL Birthday

It is hard for me to believe that my three "babies" are actually FIVE years old today. How can it seem like just yesterday, yet, seem like a life-time ago that they entered this world? Somehow the years whizzed by, but we've had many, MANY long days. Today didn't go quite like I planned. I baked cupcakes all day, Allen got home and we ate quickly, let the kids blow out candles, and eat half their cupcakes, then we rushed out the door to a Cub Scout awards ceremony and fall festival. Unfortunately, the adults who planned the meeting didn't do a good job -- they forgot to recognize all the hard work of the boys and, instead, made announcements of stuff going on through February. The festival was chaos and candy. We let Will pick a few treats and we left, getting home just in time to open one gift then head to bed. I was bummed -- maybe even more than the kids were. Though they did get a cake and a song, I had planned to celebrate a bit more. They were all excited to get the helmets and can't wait to ride their big wheels with them on. Ben put his on and ran across the house and bashed into the steel front door head-first. He was THRILLED that the helmet worked, but not thrilled that I told him to stop. Hopefully, they'll get their big present tomorrow.

It is fun listening to their conversations about their birthday. Since they are five today, they are saying that they'll be six on their next birthday. The funny part is they are trying to convince us that their next and sixth birthday is next weekend (that's when their "party" is.) Earlier today, we stopped by the doctor's office to pick up some records. The three kids sat in the waiting room visiting with others while I was talking to the receptionist. I overheard a man ask who was the oldest, they replied, "We are all the same age." He said, "I know that, but who was born first?" The three replied in chorus, "WILL!" The man chuckled and tried clarifying what he meant, but they reiterated, "We are triplets! That means we were born at the same time and we are all the same age."

Last year, on their birthday, I quizzed the kids about their favorites. I thought it would be fun to see what their answers are a year later. Here are their replies (in the order they came to ask me what I was doing.)

Jon's Favorites
His favorite color - dark green
His favorite book - Captain Underpants
His favorite TV show - Power Rangers
His favorite toys - Phones
His best friend - Mama
His favorite thing to do - Play with dinosaurs
His favorite song - The ones on the TV, science is real
His favorite movie - Star Wars
His other favorite activities - play legos and tools

Ben's Favorites
His favorite color - blue
His favorite book - Dinosaur
His favorite TV show -  Power Rangers
His favorite toys - Cookie Monster, Big Wheel
His best friend - Jon
His favorite thing to do - play
His favorite song - Dinosaur Train
His favorite movie - Star Wars
His other favorite activities - swinging, Daddy throwing me in the air

Maddie's Favorites
Her favorite color - pink and purple
Her favorite book - Fancy Nancy and Barbie
Her favorite TV show - Word Girl
Her favorite toys - doll house and baby dolls
Her best friend - Daddy
Her favorite thing to do - color and make art and cook
Her favorite song - Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
Her favorite movie - Barbie princess movie
Her other favorite activities - take pictures, ride my bike, and eat pizza

No comments: