Jon had allergy tests done. Way back when we were trying to figure out what set off his breathing emergencies, the doctor recommeded allergy tests. Since he turned out to not be allergic to anything they checked for, I think asthma is officially off the list of possibilites. That's great news!
I took Ben to Children's in Dallas last week. Since we had been told be so many that surgery on his arm was a probability, I convinced my father-in-law to come with us to the appointment just to have an extra set of ears hearing all the details (Thank you, Randy!!) When we got to the facility, Randy and I were both impressed at the efficiency. Even though we arrived almost two hours before our appointment (thanks to no Dallas traffic the week of Thanksgiving) Ben was x-rayed (a LOT) immediately. The doctor, a pediatric orthopedist, looked at the x-rays, turned his arms a few times, and confidently informed us that his elbow was not dislocated, but that he had Congenital Radioulnar Synostosis -- basically, when his cells were dividing and creating our sweet little boy, his ulna and radius did not separate completely. Though it is extremely rare, he was born with the two bones fused, and that's why he never complained and we had no way of knowing anything was wrong. Since his range of movement is not too limited (and his wrist is extremely flexible) the doctor explained that he will not catch fly balls with his left hand, and he will not do normal chin-ups, but otherwise, his life will be normal (as far as his arm goes.) She said there was no need to do surgery for that. No surgery was what I'd been praying for...AMEN!!
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. The dentists have been telling me since about college that I needed to have it done, but first school was the excuse, then new job, then new insurance said I had to wait six months, then I was pregnant, then I had Will at home, then I had a new business, then I had three babies, and then I finally told the dentist to quit telling me to get it done. I promised to have my teeth extracted when the little kids were in school full-time or when the teeth were bothering me. They started hurting earlier this year -- especially one that was coming in sideways and always biting my cheek, so I scheduled the surgery before I chickened out. Since Allen already had the week off, and my in-laws were able to help with the kids, Thanksgiving week turned out to be a good time to do it. The surgeon told me that the third and fourth days would be the most painful, but I seemed pretty comfortable then, and I was thrilled to have gotten through it all pretty easily. Sunday, the pain was horrible!! I went to bed in tears and woke up Monday morning still in excruciating pain. I called the office and explained the pain and asked it I could come in Monday instead of the scheduled follow-up on Tuesday. That day, they packed one of my sockets - EXTREME PAIN! - but it only lasted a few minutes. Today, I'm doing better. I do hate to admit it has been harder to handle than I thought. I still have to take Tylenol or Motrin so the pain is bearable, but last night, I slept through the night without needing to wake up for medicine. ... and at least, I won't have to go through this again.


No comments:
Post a Comment