I got the majority of our shopping done in August and September because I like to spread the birthday and Christmas gift expenses out. I did a lot of online shopping because being in crowded stores stresses me out. Though I try to keep it simple, my favorite part about Christmas shopping is choosing the perfect gifts. I'm not saying I always DO choose the perfect ones, but I put a lot of thought into trying to choose gifts I think the receiver will enjoy. I am nearly dancing in my seat I am so anxious for our kids to open the gifts Allen and I have chosen for them!!
Sunday, all six of us chose names again like we did last year. We want to teach our kids about giving to others and choosing gifts with love, but we don't want our home full of cheap junk just because we have four kids "buying" gifts for each of the other three. Instead, the six of us draw names so that each of them can choose one nice gift for another. Each one gets a chance to shop, stick to a budget, think of what another would like, keep a secret, wrap a gift, and give it joyfully. Will has a good grasp of how money works, but we have to help him understand the sales tax. The little kids understand numbers, but they don't quite understand the decimals on price tags, so we guide them there. Now the final shopping begins! Will is choosing a gift for Allen, and Allen get to pick one for Will. Ben is giving to Maddie, Maddie to Jon, Jon to me, and I'm getting Ben's again this year (luck of the draw!). I think the single gift is my favorite to pick out. For ONCE, I can choose a gift for one child without having to worry about how I will choose an equally fair gift for the other three kids.
This weekend will be festive. We are going to the city Christmas parade with friends, and, if we have the energy (after a lock-in) we will put up the Christmas tree. Until then, it still feels like Christmas because it is cold and the kids keep singing "Jingle Bells" and telling every stranger "Merry Christmas!" Now I'm heading out to the cold to pick up the kids, do some homework, and whistle to myself, "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"
No comments:
Post a Comment