Thursday, January 5, 2012

Peer pressure

Several friends from book club got together to learn to crochet from another member who is about to move to Chicago. I was not interested in playing with yarn, so I didn't go. A few weeks later, Ema (who also didn't go) and I were talking about Christmas gifts just a few days after Jennifer and Simone were trying to convince us to join the crafty fun. Ema was frustrated because she had a few more gifts she needed to get and didn't have any ideas. We laughed that we didn't crochet or she could make scarves, or hats, or blankets, or shawls, or ornaments, or... or... or... the list kept going. When I realized the possibilities, I was ready to find a you-tube video, go buy a ball of yarn, and find a crochet hook.

One afternoon, when I had all those things handy, Will watched over my shoulder as I tried to work on the yarn by watching the video. Two minutes into the four minute show, I got frustrated and quit. Not permanently, but I quit watching the show until I could figure out how to get my loops to work in my clumsy fingers. A few days later, I figured out the basic stitches and I picked up a $2 booklet at Hobby Lobby to figure out how to read patterns. I got another skein of yarn and started a scarf for myself. All four kids asked if I'd make them one, and with three weeks till Christmas I aimed to get them done for gifts. The kids each chose their own yarn, so it wasn't really a surprise.
If you look closely, you might be able to I was just learning, but now...I'm HOOKED! I made a couple mini scarves for Maddie's dolls, and I finally figured out how to make a little hat for one. Since Christmas I've started another scarf for me -- this one decorative, rather than warm, and I've started a fuzzy wrap I can wear at home when I don't need a blanket. Nothing like sitting in my rocker crocheting a shawl to make me feel old, but it is fun to swap ideas and encouragement with my buddies, and I don't feel too bad about that kind of peer pressure.

No comments: