Friday, October 10, 2014

Poison Ivy

Who would've thought that our first sick-days for this school year would have been used to recover from poison ivy? And why does it seem these things happen when Allen is at a conference out of town? On Sunday, Jon climbed a tree in the neighborhood that had some poison ivy on it. Monday, he had a few spots on his shoulder and the back of his neck that were irritated, so I put some cortisone cream on it and sent him to school. Monday evening it was more irritated. Tuesday morning, Jon woke up with a completely puffed up face so I kept him home from school and called the doctor to set up an appointment. The first picture was taken early that morning, but by the time we got to the doctor his mouth was so swollen he wouldn't move his lips to talk because it hurt so much. The doc started Jon on steroids, but it still took several days for the swelling to go down.
The next day, he was still very sore and lethargic. He would wake up achy, but with normal energy. Once I gave him his steroids, he was wound up as we dropped everyone off at school, but before we made it home he was asleep enough I had to carry him inside.
The third day, he was still incredibly itchy all over and his face was still swollen and he fell asleep early in the day again. Overall, he has just been incredibly embarrassed at the way he looked. There were times I looked at him and wondered if I would've recognized him as my own child had I not watched the swelling occur. Friday, his skin was still red, dry, and cracking, but the swelling was nearly gone and he was comfortable enough to go to school. All in all, he missed three days of school and was miserable the entire time.

Back in June he ended up needing steroids for poison ivy and it seems that each time he gets into it he has a more severe reaction. I discussed that with the doctor and he already has a back-up prescription at the pharmacy so we can start the steroids right away next time. For now, our poor little guy is swearing he will never play outside again, but Mama knows he will be back out pretty soon.

No comments: