Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Liver Tea (nope, not a recipe)

I never realize how dependent I am on the internet until I lose it . . . (the internet, I mean). This weekend we had some huge storms so we unplugged everything. Somehow one of the cable wires got bent strangely, so we weren't able to get our cable modem to work for the last 5 days. It's been repaired, and I am so happy to have access to the outside world.

The weekend was very rainy, but we managed to get out for a short time to wander around a plant nursery and a few furniture stores. I prepared many meals, and we ate some yummy food. There are the little things that have been happening with the kids that seem like the highlights for the week. . . Jon and Maddie gave me kisses!!! Last night I was sitting on the floor and Allen was on the couch. When Jon climbed down off of Allen I mused aloud, "I wonder if Jon is coming to give his mama a kiss?" He picked up on the hint, and holding the couch, he walked himself over to me and stuck his outer lip out like a happy pout (that is his kissy face) and kissed me. A little bit later, I asked Maddie for a kiss and she leaned toward my face with an open mouth like she would bite my nose. At the very end she blinked hard, nodded, and made kiss lips and giggled after she kissed me. I wish I could explain better how adorable they are when they do that. Ben is still working hard to reach the television and DVD/VCR. He will line toys up under them and climb them to push buttons. When I get the toys away from the TV, he climbs the chair and leans way over to try to reach the buttons. When that fails, he takes his little monkey toes and holds tight to the edge and starts walking his legs up the set. When I get him down, he huffs with determination, and looks for another way. This is definitely a determined little guy. All three babies are darling during our dinner blessings. Maddie folds her hands together, Jon laces his fingers together, and Ben uses one hand to tightly squeeze the fingers of the other hand. They are still working on saying "Amen," and some nights they say "A-ma!" or " 'men!" and other times they just do the sign language for it. Maddie babbles when Will is saying the prayer; she must think she is praying, too. Wouldn't it be neat to know what a baby says to God?

Will has been serenading us with a song of Herman the Worm and can recite the Pledge of Allegiance. It is impressive that he says all of it, but it's hard not to chuckle when he finishes it with "Indivisible, with liver tea and justice for all!" I'll take the justice, but the liver tea better be on the side.

One day last fall, Will came home from preschool and asked, "Mama, what does justice mean?" Please tell me how to define justice for a (then) three-year old without using any other words that will make him ask for another definition. A little while later, "Mama, what is liver tea?" I had NO idea how to answer that. I figured he heard "justice" on his Superman cartoon, but I had no idea where to start with liver tea. When he asked "What does un-de-visible mean?" I put all the parts together and realized he was learning the Pledge.

No comments: