Mom has asked for my brownie recipe, so I thought I'd share it. The key to these super-rich brownies is to use dark cocoa (mine is called Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa). I also found some caramels (like the wrapped cubes you melt to make caramel apples) that were not wrapped and they were shaped like chocolate chips. Those were great to use, but if you can't find them, just unwrap a bunch and cut them into smaller pieces.
Sarah's Absolute Favorite Brownies
1/2 C. plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. special dark cocoa
1/4 C. (regular) cocoa
2/3 C. white sugar
2/3 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. dark chocolate chips
1/2 C. chewy caramels
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. oil
3 eggs
I put the dry ingredients in a clear, quart-sized jar one ingredient at a time and make layers (like sand art) and add a tag that says "When ready to bake, pour contents of jar in a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup of oil, and 3 eggs. Stir until blended. Pour into a greased 9-inch pan and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees." These brownie mixes make great gifts for teachers, neighbors, or me, or they can be stored in the pantry for a quick-mix when you are in the mood for this chocolaty goodness.
I had a recipe I had gotten from MOPS, and I made these up for Will's teachers for Christmas gifts and some neighbors. However, like I do with every recipe, I made some changes (the dark chocolate chips, dark cocoa, and caramel chips). I forgot to taste them before they were distributed, then one night I couldn't sleep because I couldn't quit thinking that maybe I had given awful-tasting gifts. The next morning I made up a batch & they were the best I've ever had. The teachers all wanted the recipe, so they must've been tasty. Allen made some for Mom's birthday a few days ago, and she liked them too. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment