Yesterday, the kids and I came to my parents for awhile. Allen is still working unpredictable and long hours, and this is one way to have a little help with the kids. I also feel like it relieves Allen of the extra pressure to rush home to help with the kids. This way, he can have the stress of his job and a little lonliness, but that's limited too since he still has three cats and a dog to deal with. Dad was excited to have us, and Mom is still at my brother's helping with baby Julianne while Angel has been out of town. Today was the first full day with Granddad.
I got a few extra minutes of my much-needed beauty rest since Dad got the kids up and fed. I did have diapers to deal with when I got up, but at least they weren't screaming at me like most days. We got everyone in the car and ran to a few stores to check out some ideas on a project Dad and I are working up -- we are planning to make some easels for the kids this week. We came back for lunch and then all six of us took naps. Yes, I slept hard, and it was a challenge to roll out of bed when the little ones woke up. Then everyone went out to the sandpile and had fun. Dad seems to be teaching them all about the things we can't do in our little box at home: how to make big bucket castles to crash, and especially how to bury a big brother and then tickle the little piggies that stick up from the sand. All of the kids had their feet buried, and Jon was the only one who whined about it. When the kids got tired of that, Dad put them all in his brand new wheel barrow (the one Mom said he wanted specifically because it would hold all five grandkids at the same time.) Dad pushed them around and we looked at flowers and grapes, we checked out a pile where we saw a soft-turtle shell trying to nest, we walked across the dam and came back to the hose to play in the sprinkler. When we tried getting the little ones in the sprinkler at our house, they screamed and ran away from it. At Granddads, the water was from the lake and very warm. Maddie and Ben seemed to enjoy playing it, Will has always loved sprinklers, and Jon was happier in my lap.
Speaking of Jon, he got his first pair of shoes Thursday. It was a little early since he isn't walking all the time, but it was my last chance to go to a shoe store with only three kids instead of four. The shoes are great, and he seems to be getting more comfortable on his feet. Today, he walked and stood most of the time (rather than crawling). His walk is very careful, and very slow. His tongue sticks out of his cheek and his brow is furrowed as he concentrates so hard. That's my Jon -- always concentrating on his task.
At one point, Will came to help Jon walk to the sprinklers. Jon walks better holding someone's hand. Will walked at Jon's pace to the edge of the water, and Jon didn't want to go further, but he really wanted to get the the animal crackers that Granddad had on the other side of the water. Big brother Will went to get a cracker for Jon, and Granddad said it was the last one. Will made it clear he wanted another one and was upset it was the last, and I expected him to eat it. Instead, he took it right over and smiled and handed it to Jon. My heart overflowed. I was so proud of big brother being so kind to little brother. Yes, I told him so.
After the sprinklers washed off the sand, we came in to make dinner. While Dad and I cleaned off the kitchen table, Ben was playing on the floor, Will was finishing his milk, and Jon and Maddie were taking their sweet time counting the last few kernels of corn on their highchair trays. I went to get a washcloth to clean the last two babies up, and Will screamed to come quick. I rushed around the corner to catch Ben with one foot on Jon's highchair tray, but the rest of him was on the table. I don't know how he climbed up the highchair, but he did. Jon didn't seem to mind that Ben was standing on his dinner, but I put Ben in his crib until I could watch him more closely. That's my Ben -- always moving quickly to get into things he shouldn't.
Tomorrow will be another adventure and we are all anxious to see what it will bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment