Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No excuses & Mama's scary "costume"

Here it is not quite 10:30 on a crisp (or cold) Tuesday morning and I have already accomplished something big -- I voted with three two-year olds at my feet! If I can do it with the triplets, I can't accept any excuses for NOT voting.

The day has already had a few happening that I'd like to forget, but several I wanted to remember. It started with cold -- I got as close to Allen as I could to get some of his heat, but then the alarm went off and he got up. It wasn't long until Will came shivering to me wearing his "Daddy pajamas" (aka: underpants). I gathered him close and tucked the covers around him and listened to him as he told me about his dreams. It was a warm-hearted feeling even though my toes were icy. It was wonderful to cuddle with my son. When I told him "I love you" he interrupted me to say, "I know, I know, I know. . . you always love me, you will forever, you don't have to tell me all the time." That comment with the 4-year-old's eye rolls brought on the tickles and giggles. By the time Allen left, I was still in bed, Will was still giggly, and we were running late for a school day.

I got Will dressed and set him up with a cartoon while I showered, dressed, combed my hair, and skipped the makeup since we were running behind. As soon as I walked into the living room, Will had a terrified look on his face and yelled at me: "NO!! You can't go anywhere like that!" I was thoroughly confused, and when I asked what he was talking about, he responded "You look ugly, Mama, I don't want my teachers thinking you are my Mama! Your face is wrong!" Was this the same Will that I cuddled and giggled with just a few minutes earlier? He still had a fearful look on his face as he ran across the room, grabbed my arm, and pulled me back to my bathroom. "Just look, Mama! Look at your face! Where is the rest of it? See how it is scary?" Well, I still didn't have time to put on makeup, but the entire incident was quite surprising to me -- I only wear makeup two or three days a week. I was baffled, but still didn't have time to "put my face on." Who needs a Halloween costume, when your face terrifies your own kid? Ouch.

At breakfast, we had an interesting conversation as Will tried convincing me to let him plant an M&M tree. Evidently, he's under the impression that if he plants one M, it will grow into a big tree that will give him all the M&M's he could ever want. After failing to convince him it was pretend, I told him he could plant one if he got M&M's for Halloween. Then he got mad, and said he would EAT his M&M's and we would have to plant MY candy.

I got the little kids up and diapers changed, but left them in their cozy pajamas. I fed all the kids, then pushed everyone out the door, still aiming to be close to on time getting Will to preschool. We made it in time, but I still haven't had my coffee, so that's next on my list. I decided yesterday not to go to Bible Study this morning because Maddie and Ben had slight fevers, and all three babies are very snotty. Since I didn't want them in the nursery, I'd have to miss my class, too. So we headed home, and on the way, I was looking for the church where we are supposed to be able to vote early. Luckily it was clearly marked. I grabbed the parking spot by the door and stepped inside to ask if I could vote there (I never got my registration card a year ago when we registered.) The lady said I'd need my ID, and I glanced around to get an idea of the set up. I put shoes on the kids and took them in with me.

When I arrived there was one other lady and a man voting or in line. I stood in line for a few minutes behind the lady so I could get my name checked against the master list. The kids all sat right at my feet -- Maddie insisted on sitting ON my feet. They smiled and said hi to the other people as they arrived, and by the time we were ready to move to line number two there were eight people ahead of us, all of whom had been smiling and trying to get the kids to talk. As we moved to the end of that line the first lady insisted we go ahead of her, and all the others enthusiastically agreed. I was humbled, yet again, and couldn't thank them enough. As it turned out, everything went more smoothly than I ever dreamed possible. The kids each sat in a chair where they could see me. I voted while they charmed everyone else.

1 comment:

Aja Jenise said...

Too freakin cute! And definitely a humbling expereince... its nice to know there are still such kind people around. Sorry about the 'makeup' incident. The DAY that I do put makeup on, the girls are like WOW, I didn't knwo you could look like that! It only reminds me of how much I put into myself. TATA