Monday, October 20, 2008

Pumpkin Cake Recipe

I know, I know. When you see Cookie Monster, you probably don't think of pumpkins, but under all the black and blue icing was my latest experiment. I started with a cake mix and a recipe and made some alterations -- hoping it would all turn out okay. I don't know how everyone else felt about it, but I loved the flavors so much I've actually dreamed about it while I slept. I thought I'd better get it written up before I forgot what I did. . .

Pumpkin Cake
1 package (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix (no pudding)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (yes, I know cinnamon and nutmeg in it. . .)
1 1/4 cups chai tea*
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 eggs
3/4 cups canned pumpkin
* the recipe originally called for water, but I wanted more flavor. I heated 1 1/4 cups water and put a chai teabag in to steep until it was room temperature. Discard the teabag and use the tea instead of plain water. It adds lots of flavor!
Preheat oven to 350 F. In large bowl combine cake mix and spices. Add tea, oil and eggs; beat with mixer for 2 minutes. Add pumkin and mix until well blended. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For cupcakes, bake 25-30 minutes. This is delicious topped with cream cheese icing. Mmmmm. . . .yes, I would definitely like some more of that!
PS - the Cookie Monster cake started out as an Elmo cake pan.

1 comment:

Aja Jenise said...

Oh my gosh!! They look so BIG! I guess its just because we have been talking about how small they were. They look so beautiful and handsome... I hope they had fun!!