Monday, February 16, 2009

Hearts and Flowers

Our Valentine's Day definitely turned into a weekend full of hearts and flowers. Before you rush off thinking Allen and I are hopelessly romantic, I'll let you in on a secret. We are head-over-heels in love. But even with a pile of Valentine wishes for my sweet love and our children, we completely and totally forgot Saturday was Valentine's Day. I guess everyone will open cards this evening.

Thursday, we headed for Austin. It was a tolerable trip since we stopped in Waco for dinner with my parents. We got to Austin around 8 pm and got the kids ready for bed. It was the first time the triplets have slept in a hotel, and the first time Allen and I have shared a room with them. Since they were out of sorts with a messed up schedule and in a new place, they cried. Someone called the front desk and they came to make sure we were all okay. The fact that we couldn't just let them cry it out added a different level of stress to the situation, but we got through it.

Friday, we took the kids to play outside at the Arboretum. It was a gorgeous, nearly 80-degree day, and it was great for us to get the fresh air. We wandered with them, let them climb statues, and watch the ducks and geese, the we grabbed some chicken sandwiches headed for the wedding rehearsal. The wedding venue was at Villa Antonia, a beautiful location overlooking Lake Travis. With a few new toys on hand, I kept the kids from being disruptive until we got through th rehearsal. When the kids practiced walking down the aisle, I told them to act like ducks and follow Allen and me. Normally this means they walk in a line behind me, sometimes quacking quietly. That is just our "word" for follow Mama. I expected a few little "quacks," but I didn't expect Ben to bend over with his butt out, and his arms folded into wings, as he rushed past Allen in me waddling his little duck-butt and flapping his duck-wings. (No, he didn't do that at the real ceremony, just the rehearsal.) We got the kids back to the hotel and luckily they snoozed a bit in the car. We visited with family that had arrived until it was time to head out for dinner. Dinner was an awesome affair at a delicious barbeque restaurant. It was laid back and as cozy as can be for as many people as were there. Since there was an enclosed patio and the weather was still beautiful, the kids enjoyed running around outside. One of my favorite moments was after dinner and dessert were over, but everyone was still enjoying each others' company. Jon, not realizing anyone was watching, had climbed up on the bench and just stared into the big pans of cobbler. As he licked his lips, I took out the camera, but didn't let on that I was watching him. I could almost read his mind as he reached for the big serving spoon, but then he abruptly stopped. I had expected him to try to eat from the spoon and I was ready to jump, but he surprised me when he first reached for a plate. The evening was quite enjoyable especially since we had so much help with the kids. Uncle Gary, Aunt Carmen, Aunt Michele, and Grandma Ann each helped out so much, and Allen and I were allowed to just enjoy ourselves. Since Randy and Shelley (aka: Nana & Papa) were the hosts for the dinner, I tried to keep the kids "out of their way," but as always, they were happy to help and happy to hold, and they, too, were a big help to us. Ben was exhausted, and stopped to lay on a picnic bench. Then he jumped up and went to tell everyone, "bye." Then he rushed out the door of the party room -- luckily someone caught him. When Ben was carried to me, I asked where he was going and he told me: "Bye-bye, Mama. Sleepy." We left soon after that and the kids went to bed very easily. Saturday was another busy day, and Valentine's Day (even though I forgot that part). After breakfast at the hotel with all the family, Allen and I and the kids took a detour from the wedding festivities and went to meet my Aunt Anne, Uncle Jim, and cousins Kathryn and Jamie. It was the first time they had met the triplets, and since we were so close, I am so glad we got to visit with them. The kids got to feed chickens, go for a walk, and just play. Maddie slept most of the time, but we all had a great visit. Next we met family for lunch and then took the kids to nap at the hotel while the rest of us got pretty. Before we knew it, it was time to get to the wedding for some pre-wedding family photos.
The wedding was beautiful, the bride was even prettier. I know a bride is supposed to look her very best for her wedding, but Jenn was unbelievably gorgeous that day with her inner beauty and happiness radiating through her pretty face. As I did my best to keep the kiddos quiet, I couldn't help my heart from swelling with love for my husband as I heard the wedding words and remembered our own vows. I was also overwhelmed with joy that Jason found someone to make him so very happy. After the ceremony, there was a dinner and dancing, and we got to see a side of Will we don't see too often. At the rehearsal, Will became quite friendly with Jenn's niece. By then end of that evening, she was introducing him to her family as her "boyfriend, cart-Will." He told us she was his girlfriend, too, but that part doesn't surprise us anymore. In fact, we acted like it wasn't a big deal, but the other kids oohed and aahed and the two young ones realized that got them attention so they kept up the act. What we didn't know was that Will would dance ALL . . . NIGHT. . . LONG! When he got the nerve to get on the dance floor, he quickly got the little girl dancing. He impressed many with his dance steps and the spins he helped her do. When she grew tired of dancing, and the dance floor got crowded with "big people", Will found a small balcony and did his own dancing up there. At one point, we looked over and saw FOUR photographers with their lenses focused on the little blond boy dancing on the balcony. Maddie fell asleep soon after she finished dinner, but Jon and Ben kept going for awhile. Allen and I each held one of the little boys while we danced together to "Unforgettable." Had the song been a minute longer, they both would've been asleep, but as it was, only Ben was out. Another time, Allen and I was cha-cha-ing and almost had Jon asleep, but to no avail. He and Will lasted all night long and even helped throw rose petals as Jason and Jenn left the party. We put the kids in pajamas before buckling them in for the ride back. As we assumed, they all slept in the car. The hardest thing about each of us carrying two sleeping chidren through the hotel was the three-inch heels on which I was trying to steady myself. We all slept hard that night.

Sunday we slept a bit longer than the other days, but then had breakfast with the family again. When we headed home, we stopped in Waco for lunch, and Allen's parents and grandmother followed us there. It was so nice enjoying a few moments with both families. We finally made it home, and decided to just sit and relax.

Just a shout out of thanks to everyone that helped with the kids. I can't thank you enough, and it was wonderful to see you! Who did we see? Nana and Papa, Grammie and Ruffy (the kids great-grandparents), Grandma Ann (great-grandma to the kids), lots of great-aunts and -uncles, in more ways than one: Chuck, Gary, Carmen, Michele, Robert, Barbara, Carrie, and Jim; a great-great aunt and cousin: Babe and Janet; and lots of family friends. I hope others got some good pictures, because I never seemed to have my camera out at the right moments.

No comments: