It seems like every couple of months I get blog-tagged to post random facts about myself, and, although I wasn't blog-tagged this time, I spent so much time creating my list for Facebook, that I decided to post it here, too. If you read my list on Facebook, it's been updated with a few extra details, updates, and links. Consider yourself "tagged" and share your list of 25 things with me.
1. I always thought it was immature to marry a high school sweetheart, so we waited until after college so we could call it “college sweethearts.” However, I still say I married my high school sweetie, and I have absolutely no regrets.
2. My friend Jennie and I own a scrapbook store called Chasing Rainbows, but now I live a long way from it. . . .so she gets to have all the fun. . . .and all the headaches. . . .and I try to get up to Independence,Kansas, to visit a few times a year.
3. Twins run in my family. I had a feeling I was pregnant with boy-girl twins before I had a sonogram. I was so convinced there were twins that I spent the 45-minute drive telling myself not to be disappointed if there was only one baby. When we told our parents we were having triplets, they thought it was an April Fools joke since that’s the type of joke we would pull. It wasn’t a joke, and I started bawling when they didn't believe me, because I still couldn't believe it myself.
4. I’m an overachiever. . . .as much as I can be as a housewife and mom. I was aiming to have two kids and ended up doubling that.
5. My husband and I planned on each of our kids having two family names, but coming up with six names at once was too hard. It was challenging finding family names that we liked that still sounded good together, so we cheated on the triplets. They each have one name that is intentionally a family name, and the other name, we just liked. Their names are William Everett, Benjamin Clay, Madeline Alivia, and Jonathan Rand.
6. I cheered the Steelers to their Super Bowl victory yesterday. I was born in Pittsbugh, PA, and lived there until I was 13 when my parents moved back to Texas. I lived in Kansas for six years, but considered myself a Texan even though I’m technically a yankee. I moved back to Texas a year and a half ago and it’s great to be “home.”
7. I love to blog – it is my therapy and my scrapbook.
8. When my kids are with me in public, people often say nasty things, not even realizing they are being ugly. I hope I can learn how to respond before they are old enough to understand the words of strangers. Don’t ever tell a mom in front of her kids, “It must suck to be you.” Or “I’d have slit my wrists to have had that many.” It just isn’t fair for the kids to hear that crap.
9. Allen and I are going to Greece for our tenth anniversary this summer. We got the idea from a scrapbook paper line. Yes, I’m serious – it’s called Santorini.

10. I have enjoyed reading these “25 Randoms” lists and have noticed that ALL the people I graduated high school with love to read – not a single one surprised me; we are all nerds who started college when we were 15 and 16.
11. I am addicted to books. I have trouble getting rid of them, but I rarely re-read them. It is a pleasure on which I’ve never felt guilty about spending too much money or time.
12. When I focus on God, my life seems so easy.
13. I love color and probably have a different answer each time I’m asked to name my favorite. I don’t think yellow has ever been a favorite, but of all the colors, it makes me happiest.
14. When we bought our home, every wall was taupe. We had many of them rooms painted: red dining room, yellow kitchen, yellow and green living room, purple bedroom. When we had to pick a color for the office we added on, I said, “We need blue.” I somehow convinced Allen and now the office is now greenish-blue and it (mysteriously?) perfectly matches my favorite tote bag. I think we are mostly done painting, but Maddie’s room may have pink and/or orange walls when we get to it.
15. I was only five when I had my first crush (on Peter Siska), but I’ve had a crush on my Allen for half my life. Will has a crush, but it started at age 4 -- yes, it still is Ella.
16. I have lost 33 pounds in the last three months, and I am thrilled to fit in the same size jeans I wore in high school. I never thought I'd be happy or proud about my weight, but I worked hard enough at it that I'm happy AND proud. Last week I bought a pair of size-6 Levi's! Allen has lost even more, and I'm just as proud of him.
17. When I worked, I liked trying a little of everything before I settled on a career. I’ve been a babysitter, lab assistant, receptionist, day care worker, camp counselor, waitress, consultant, chemical engineer, high school science teacher, sales clerk, and retail manager.
18. I still have my favorite jobs, wife and Mama. The benefits are great, but the hours are long.
19. I like to cook, but I love to eat out because I enjoy someone else cleaning up.
20. My favorite days of the week are Tuesdays (Bible study and lunch with Allen), Wednesdays (day out with Will), Thursdays (day out with Maddie, Ben, or Jon), Fridays (pajama day), and Saturdays and Sundays because Allen is with us all day. It would’ve been faster to say I’m not a fan of Mondays. I really don't like Mondays.
21. Allen and I worked at the same place for a little over a year. I hesitated to quit that job because I’d miss my lunch dates with him. Somehow, we still manage two or three lunch dates a week, but now we have the kids for company. I know we eat out too much.
22. My hubby and I have a babysitter once a week so we can go to a ballroom dance class and then go get groceries. It is our night out, and we sometimes hold hands in the frozen foods aisle. It’s late enough that the store is mostly deserted so people don’t look at us strangely if we practice our new steps as we push the cart. So far we've ChaCha-ed, Bolero-ed, and Mambo-ed through Albertson's and Brookshire's. Tonight we start West Coast Swing, but we only need milk.
23. I’m a mom. Last week I couldn’t decide which event was more exciting: a kid pooping on the potty for the first time or hearing two-year olds say “I luff you” for the first time. I’m thinking the latter since I’m tearing up thinking about it. Also, only a mom will kiss a kiddo that has so much snot on him/her that the dog's hair has stuck.
24. Until I was around 12, I thought I should be President of the United States because I was born in February.
25. I know I’ve got it great, but some days I need to be reminded.
No comments:
Post a Comment