Thursday, July 15, 2010

Buzz, Bugs, Teeth, and Training

Sometimes, life can best be summed up by the random little sentences that I post. Some of these are just little bits that don't fit into a long story, but that I want to get written so I can laugh about them later.

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR - A split lip and a knot on his head are not enough to convince Ben that he can't fly. He is now crying, not because he hurts, but because I told him he couldn't be the FLYING superhero. But he's running around saying "To infininini and beyond!" so I guess he didn't notice. The story continues. . . .after telling him AGAIN that he couldn't fly, he ran up to get the Buzz Lightyear costume. When he asked me to help him get it on, I explained AGAIN that he can't fly. "I know, Mama. But, Buzz can fly and now that I have the costume, I am Buzz." He ran off yelling about infinity and all that. He's still black and blue and determined. That night when I tucked him in I explained that Buzz Lightyear wears a helmet all the time. He sighed a bit and asked where he could get one.

EDIBLE BUGS - Over the weekend, I let the kids watch a recording of the kids' episode of Bizarre Foods. They were upset when they found a bunch of crickets in the yard but I wouldn't cook them. Monday, I ordered several flavors and varieties of packaged edible bugs for them, so they are excited again. Ever since I told the kids I ordered the bugs, they ask me EVERY night if we are having bugs for dinner. They are pretty excited about it, and I'm am trying to be. I'll have to try the edible insects, but it seems easier as a kid...They are scheduled to be here Monday, and Will gets really excited everytime he sees the UPS truck in our neighborhood.

LOOTH TOOTH - At ‎1:13AM - "Mama, my tooth is really loose. I think you can pull it out now. I've been wiggling it since I went to bed." Yes, it was Will. It seems he was up a few times last night -- he can't sleep if he can't suck his thumb, but both his top middle teeth are very loose. I told him to practice saying "loose," now while he can do it without the toothleth lithp. Both of the front top ones are loose right now, and I am secretly hoping they'll come out at the same time so he will quit sucking his thumb at night.

POTTY TRAINING - We are still working on getting the little kids potty trained, and like I've always heard, there is a big difference in potty training girls and boys. Training two boys and a girl at the same time makes these differences quite clear. For example, Maddie sobs uncontrollably when she "toots in her pink panties." Ben, on the other hand, when asked to please go potty marches to the bathroom and washes his hands. When we remind him he went there to potty, he proudly boasts, "I DID potty. I peed in my pullup and washed my hands at the SAME TIME!!" Wow -- my son, the multitasker! Maddie is now out of diapers and pullups and is staying dry all day. We still have her in diapers at night, but she wakes up dry about 6 days out of 7. I am still too nervous about going out and having an accident to clean up while keeping four kids from getting germy in a public restroom, so I have a pullup on her over her panties when we go places. Ben and Jon both use the potty regularly, but they seem to be having a competition to see who can make a bigger mess in his undies. I'm getting pretty tired of that part, so they are usually in pullups.

No comments: