Saturday, July 31, 2010

Never Say "Never"

This week has been crazy. ... and usually not the good kind of crazy. I am so very, very glad Allen and I had last weekend to spend together alone at a B&B, but it seems like so long ago. We got home Sunday late, and he's been working ever since. He is up at five in the morning, gets home after the kids are in bed, has time to eat, then its time to sleep so he can do it all again the next day. I am sorry that he has to work so much, sorry that he rarely sees the kids, sorry that I don't get to see him, sorry that I have to parent on my own. It has been a long week and we are all worn out.

This week, I have done many things I have always avoided:
  • I found the three little ones up before I was. . . eating breakfast. . . all three were huddled around an open box of Bisquick, each had a spoon and a cloud of white around their mouths (yes, they were proud)
  • I took the kids to the pool . . . without Daddy or grandparents,
  • I fed the kids icecream . . . for dinner,
  • I took the kids to Build a Bear. . . by myself,
  • I let them stay up late. . . just because (and to see Daddy).
We also did a few things I prefer not to do, but often do when I'm alone with the kids for long hours:
  • I turned on the TV. . . so I can get a few quiet minutes,
  • I served cereal for dinner . . . so I don't have to cook,
  • I ordered pizza for dinner. . . so I don't have to cook,
  • We met Daddy for lunch . . . so I don't have to make PB&J . . . well, really, just so we can see Daddy :)
  • I let the kids play in the mud . . . so I could have some quiet,
  • I bathed the kids with the hose . . . because I'm too worn out to deal with vacuuming, too,
  • I put all three little ones in pull-ups. . . because I keep forgetting to remind them to potty, and I'm tired of washing undies in the toilet.
  • We set up our back-up plan in case Allen has to work when I'm in Florida for a MOPS convention (yes, grandparents are AWESOME!!)
Then there were a few times we just had to have some fun:
  • We stayed up late to watch Mary Poppins
  • We went swimming with friends (and take some leftover bugs for them to taste)
  • We went swimming while it was pouring down rain
  • We went to the library for storytime
  • We met Daddy for lunch -- burgers one day, Thai food another
  • We had pancakes for dinner
  • We had icecream for dinner and cereal for dessert . . . the same night
  • I gave the kids two cookies for dessert one night just because we had a great day
  • We went to Build-a-Bear and came home with four new "friends".
And just in case it doesn't seem like I've gone crazy enough, we have a really crazy plan in the works. . . camping . . . with friends. That's the FUN part, though. The crazy part? Four parents, two six-year-olds, four three-year olds, two one-year olds. . . and we are REALLY looking forward to this time with our buddies!

No comments: