Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Weekend Events

We've had a couple of super-busy weekends, but I remembered to take a few pictures, so I could remember all the fun we had. Last weekend (10 days ago) we planned to stay home, but at the last minute, we decided to head to Grand Saline for the Great American Peanut Butter Festival. The small town was trying to get into Guiness Book of World Records with the biggest peanut butter and jelly sandwich and they created a festival around the big event. We got there in time for the parade, which was fun, but the morning was so cold, it was hard to enjoy it all. We left before lunchtime and missed the sandwich (which DID make the new world record weighing in at over 1300 pounds -- ugh, tummy ache). Just before we left that town, we stopped by the caboose in the park so the kids could climb. It was interesting to read the story of how the railroads were built to get to the salt factory and nearby oilfields.The afternoon was beautiful, so maybe we should've waited out the clouds, but we didn't dress for the low temps.
Last Thursday (5 days ago) Will's first grade class had a fall music recital at the school. Allen took the day off, we took the little ones to the show, then we took them to preschool. We had originally planned to do Christmas shopping on that day, but we were ALL DONE!! ...so we went out for a fabulous lunch date and ran a few small errands. Allen took Friday off, too, and it was wonderful having him home when he normally is at work. Friday afternoon we picked Will up from school and headed to Allen's parents'.
Saturday was a day full of family :). We went with Nana and Papa, Uncle Jason, Aunt Jenn, and Cousin Beckham to the Dallas Arboretum. It turned out to be a pretty day, and the kids enjoyed running through the park and gardens. The fall displays of pumpkins, mums, and gourds were still up, and the kids had fun running in and out of the pumpkin houses and hay mazes. Another part of the arboretum had bronze statues of local wildlife and we got a chuckle when Jon shouted enthusiastically, "Look!! Everyone look at the merdilas!!" He really meant armadillos.... I took pictures of lots of fall flowers, hoping to get some ideas for what to plant in the garden and pots next summer (in hopes of having color in fall). After a busy morning outside, we headed for lunch and the kids snoozed on the way back to the house.
Sunday was another full day. Allen had some tickets to a Cowboys football game. I was looking forward to enjoying it with a friend of mine and her husband who works with Allen, but she was sick and they didn't go. Even though we were meeting another couple there, Allen still had the two spare tickets -- so Randy and Will got to come with us. We had an awesome time (yes, I'm admitting I had fun at a football fame.) The new stadium was nice and comfortable ... okay, elaborate... and our seats were great!! (third row on the 20 yard line). The game was fun, especially since the home team was ahead most of the time. Allen watches football every Sunday afternoon, but I rarely do -- I either read, or craft, or cook, or nap. So, I can now say I watched an entire game with him :) The Cowboys DID win the game, Will finally loosened up enough to shout and cheer (after the Sprite and cotton candy sugar rush hit), and he and I had matches to see who could be louder.
This is a short week. We headed home Sunday night because Will had school Monday. Today is Tuesday and he gets out of school early for the holiday. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of our family over Thanksgiving and  I'm especially excited about meeting my nephew Anson for the first time. So... let's just wait and see just how long it takes me to blog again as we crest this roller-coaster of a month. Next is Thanksgiving, then Will's birthday, than a couple parties, then Christmas, then. . . .

No comments: