Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Off to Pre-K

Today was the first day of Pre-K for Ben, Maddie, and Jon. We went to meet their teachers, Ms. Deann and Ms. Judy, last week, but today, they were thrilled to get to go to school. I started the morning with a few pictures. Jon and Maddie were pretty serious about school, so it was a challenge to get them to smile their happy, natural smiles. Ben was silly and grump (yes, at the same time). He insisted on sticking his tongue out for almost every picture, and I finally had to get creative and pretend I was doing something else to get a nice picture.
When I was ready for the picture with all three, Ben didn't want to participate. He did stand next to Maddie and Jon for a second, but he had his back to me. I gave up on getting the perfect picture and went for "good enough." That's what our real life is like anyway...
I took the kids to school and they raced off to their new classroom. All three marched right in and started playing. Ben quickly found his name on his desk and sat down and started the worksheet. Jon walked around and read every nametag -- even after he found his. As other kids came into the class, he pointed them in the right direction and showed them their names. Maddie eventually came away from the play kitchen and sat down at her seat. None of them looked back at me ... even once. So I called their names and told them "Bye." They still didn't look up when they said, "See ya, Mama!"

No comments: