Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bright and Early Adventures: Day 4 (8/23/12)

I suppose it is only normal that one of our days wouldn't work out quite like I planned. I took the kids to the space museum and planetarium today. The plan was to get to the museum about forty minutes before the dome-screen movie began so we would have time before lunch to see the exhibits. What I didn't know was that the museum was deconstructing the exhibit and building the one that is supposed to open Sunday night. Thankfully, it was a pretty day, so the kids got to run around and see the sundial and planetary pavement art while we waited for their friends to arrive for the movie. We watched a movie in the planetarium -- it was about two kids who built a cardboard rocket in a refrigerator box. The kids spend the night in the box and end up exploring all the planets. Though our kids enjoyed the movie, when we got in the car afterwards, the bad attitudes began so I cancelled our afternoon plan (which was to go with our friends and get several appliance boxes for the kids to play in and redesign.) We headed home and tried to rest for a bit before I took Will back to his friend's so I could take Ben, Maddie, and Jon to meet their teachers.
The little kids were so excited to meet their teachers and visit their new school. Since Allen was out of town for the day, I was really glad to have the Browns help with Will. It took several trips from the car to get all the school supplies inside. The first classroom we came to was Jon's class. He has Mrs. Sprague this year. He found his desk and read the other kids' names. He, Maddie, and Ben set about to explore all the stations in the classroom, but the kitchen are seemed to be their favorite. Mrs. Sprague offered to keep an eye on them while I unloaded the supplies from my trunk. They all got pretty comfortable with her classroom.
Right next to Jon's classroom was Maddie's. Mrs. Maschal is her teacher this year and Maddie loves her already! Maddie read a parent-note to her teacher, and she was invited to be the teacher-helper since she is already reading so well. Maddie beamed!... then talked about it all...day...long!

Right next to Maddie's class is Ben's. He was a little bit nervous at first, but Ms. Dillard is really nice, so I'll bet it all goes well. He warmed up a bit more when I pointed out that his clothes matched his teacher's. Somehow, I lost Jon as we walked the few inches from Maddie's class to Ben's, and I left Ben and Maddie playing with mini dinosaurs while I searched for Jon. I eventually found him back in Mrs. Sprague's class -- he was confused why I expected him to be in Ben's class when he had his own.
We spent about an hour at the elementary school, then I went to get Will from Kaleb's home. I brought Kaleb home with us, since his siblings had meet-the-teacher later that evening. Will and Kaleb were excited to get a bit more time to play together since he stayed overnight.

Our adventures are still fun, but this week is wearing all of us out! I hope that we soon adjust to the new wake up and go-to-bed times. One more day till the weekend...

No comments: