Thursday, February 21, 2013

New Neighbors

The last two years, around this time, the Eastern Bluebirds start checking out the birdhouses and, when we are lucky, they begin building nests in them. I was surprised to see this little bird peeking out of the bluebird house, but maybe not as surprised as the bluebirds. I watched all afternoon as two little Carolina chickadees went in and out of the birdhouse, and all I could do was chuckle when Silas (the male bluebird) would watch from the tree or fence and turn his head in question. He did eventually go peek in at the chickadees, but got bored and left. I didn't get bored, though; I watched off and on most of the afternoon until the two birdies left and I could go see what they had been up to. Sure enough, they are nesting! I'm hoping we can get the other bluebird house put outside this weekend so the bluebirds can move in nearby, too.

No comments: