Last Thursday, I kept Will home from school because he was a bit feverish and had a nasty-sounding cough. Yes, I am over-protective -- I don't want other parents bringing sick kids to school, so I won't. He "cold" progressed slowly at first and not much changed Thursday. Friday, he still felt warm to me and he was still coughing. Friday night he was up a lot and definitely had a fever and complained that his throat hurt every time he coughed, which was about 3 times a minute. . .all night. Sunday, the babies were getting feverish then the coughing started. Monday, I called the pediatrician and he said to just bring Will in and he'd treat all four for whatever Will had. That was quite a blessing, not having 4 office visits and co-pays to cover, and only having to take one inside instead of 4. Well, he said it was nothing major and we'd just have to wait it out. Ben has been the worst of the bunch -- feverish, can't quit coughing, and his eyes look so sick (puffy, dark circles, gunk, etc.)He cried all day yesterday, and so far most of today. The whiney, pitiful cry that says "Mom, I feel awful. Why?" It breaks my heart when my kiddos are sick. Yesterday I rocked him most of the day and at least got the crying down to a slight whimper. I was holding him while I did what I could to make dinner, and while I held Ben in my left arm, I stood stirring a sauce, while debating whether to put him down to start noodles or just wait till Allen got home to help. Will wanted me to color with him on the floor, and here's how that conversation played out:
Mama, you wanna color with me? Huh?
Honey, maybe later. I am pretty busy right now.
But, Mama. You can do ANYTHING! You are a GENIUS!
I had to walk out of the kitchen so Will wouldn't notice me chuckling. After trying to clean house, do laundry, cook dinner, educate my kids, work in a little personal time, all while dealing calmly with 4 sick kids, my four-year-old put words to the feelings I had all day. Somehow I DID manage to get things done yesterday amidst the chaos, snot, and tears. It felt good.
Today, my nerves a bit more frazzled. I've had Ben and Jon both crying most of the day. They want to be held, but they don't want to share Mama's lap. I can usually fit one on each side with their heads cradled by my shoulder. The crusty spots on my shirt will show you I've been holding them a lot. When both boys are settled and I am comfortable, Maddie wants to be held, too. So I try to make room in the middle for her, but then it's just too crowded. When she's happy, the boys start to wail, and that's when Will needs my attention, too. Now they are all four resting for a little while this afternoon. I get a few minutes to organize my thoughts. I get to write down the exciting events of the week, and can only think of all the boogers and tears, and how much I am blessed to get to be the one that can make them feel just a little better. I only wish I had the super-powers to heal them, but praying is all I can do for now. So if you are still reading, please say a little prayer that my little ones will heal quickly and fill our home with laughter again. I know God will take care of us, but sometimes I feel like I have to remind Him. . .or at least remind myself.
2 comments:
So,why worry about laundry, cooking, cleaning and picking up toys when your job for the day is holding babies and coloring with a toddler? Take care of the most important tasks first and the unimportant things will just sit there for a while and it will be OK.
Sometimes, the "unimportant" things can sit TOO long. TRUST ME - the laundry,cooking, and cleaning are not done too often around here. We spend a lot of time playing.
Post a Comment