Thursday, October 2, 2008

Adventures from Yesterday

This is the way yesterday turned out . . .while I was blogging.

Jon, whose diaper has to now be taped on because he strips, got his diaper off. The tape sticks so well to iteself (rather than the diaper), that the tape stayed on as a belt when the diaper came off. I was very lucky that he only wanted to be naked; the sheets and blanket stayed dry. Any other ideas for how to keep my child clothed?
The grand finale was when Will started crying. I went to see what was wrong, and he had a ladybug purse over his head. If that wasn't enough fun in itself, it got better. The purse would not come off. I tried gently pulling on it, then we tried tugging it harder. When I lifted the purse, Will's whole body was lifted off the ground. At one time I asked him "Why?" and he said, "I just wanted a hat like a magician!"I know he was a little bit frightened that it may never come off, but I was more worried that I'd have to destroy the bag to remove it. After about an hour of struggling with it, I called Allen and asked for advice on what to do. He gave me a few suggestions and talked to Will on the phone to calm him down. I tried holding Will over the tub and filling the purse with warm water -- my goal was to stretch the canvas, while flattening Will's hair, but that didn't work either. After a while with no luck, I called Dad and asked if he had any ideas. Once he understood the situation, I had to listen to him laugh for a bit then he suggested soap. Allen got home and we tried the soap being careful not to get it in Will's eyes. Allen was finally able to get it off, Will was fine, but wound up. I know many of my readers are glad Will is okay but more concerned with how the purse fared in this fiasco; the good news is the purse survived without being cut, but it was quite soapy and wet. In my prayers last night I thanked God that there wasn't a red mark on his forehead from all the pulling. . . you see, today is school picture day, and usually picture days happen after these small disasters.



I am not taking any more questions along the lines of "Why do you want another vacation?"

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. ~Mary Jean Iron

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great quote at the end. I need to hear that everyday!

Could Jon be ready for early potty training? I won't even come close to presuming to know what life is like with triplets, but it's just the first thing that came to my mind as I read your post. I've gone different routes with each child (Kirven trained in two days at 2.75yo, Dunagan was completely resistant until just now at 3.5yo and he completely trained himself-- no accidents, and I'm EC'ing Ayla-- she's been pee'ing on the potty since 2 wks old). There is a section on toddler potty training in the book this group puts out: http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/
It's a very gentle approach, and all about learning his cues. No coercion at all. Anyway, just thought I would share as a possible option.

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

My friend used to put the nappy on back thefront,Tabs at back...
They would still be able to pull it down possibly,butnot undo