I just love the fourth of July. I love the family-time together and that it is often spent with extended family. I love the way the community and country celebrates together. I love the barbecues. I love seeing Old Glory proudly displayed everywhere. I love dressing up in red, white, and blue and not feeling strange that my kids and husband and I are all a little bit coordinated (clothing-wise, anyway.) I love hearing the Star-spangled Banner. I love watching the parades, even when it is a shade-less 100+ degrees outside. I love the fireworks. I love watching the kids' amazement at the colorful sparkles against a late-night sky and hearing everyone ooh and ah in harmony. I LOVE the fourth of July!
This year, we spent the long weekend with Allen's family. We drove to Melissa Thursday evening and somehow got SO lucky! We managed to need to exit at a closed exit. When we continued west, the exit we needed next was blocked by five miles of four lanes of unmoving cars. And to make things even more special, our little car had about a dozen loud kids in it (so it seemed.) I was glad to make it to the Kaisers' before midnight, and although it seemed MUCH longer, it only took about 30 minutes more than normal.
Friday was fun. We had a few minutes to spare before we were to meet Jason and Jenn, and the kids were restless, so we went to hunt some nearly letterboxes. We ended the morning finding the two we set out to find, and in the process we introduced Randy and Shelley to our hobby, and let the kids explore a cemetery. Then we went to the pool for swimming and a barbecue. With six adults to four kids, it still was exhausting, but we had a wonderful time together. There was a small kids pool that Ben gleefully jumped into. Although he could stand in the 18-inches of water, when he jumped, he'd sit on the bottom then spring up out of the water. It continually scared ME, but he'd wipe his face and hop out to do it again. Other times, he'd just lunge through the water on his tummy, sink to the bottom, and happily repeat the process just to frighten me. After awhile I couldn't tell if he was enjoying the "swimming" or the making-Mama-jump-game, but either way, he is definitely getting comfortable in the H2O. The kids and I napped all afternoon, and it felt great -- why do I always sleep so well after spending time in chlorine and sunshine? That evening, Jason & Jenn, and Allen & I spent hours trying to decide what to do -- we ended up at Barnes & Noble, so I had a great time.
Saturday was the Fourth, so I woke up excited. Have I mentioned how much I love Independence Day? After we got the kids dressed, we took our family photos before the kids could get messy. It was fun comparing the changes over the last year, and I hope we remember to take these same posed pictures every year. It sure takes a lot of patience to get four kids to sit still and smile all at the same time. After almost 100 quick pictures, we ended up liking the first photo the best. Within moments of starting the photo-shoot Jon was playing with his shirt, Maddie was pouting, Ben was running around (or away), and Will was making silly faces. Welcome to my life behind the Nikon and thanks for the help Nana & Papa!



We tried to get the kids to take an early nap so we could have happy kids for the community parade, but they didn't snooze too long before we had to wake them up. It was ridiculously hot and sunny for a 2:30pm parade in July in Texas, but we went anyway. Randy, being on City Council, was in the parade, and he managed to get Will tucked in the convertible with him. Will was thrilled to be part of the parade, and he waved happily to the bystanders even though they couldn't see him through his sunhat.
The little kids, Allen, Shelley, Jason, Jenn and I sat on the sidewalk waving at the parade, collecting the goodies, and trying to stay cool. Ben, who seems to love to see firetrucks, ambulances, and police cars, also loves to imitate the sirens (contributing to my and Allen's lack of hearing.) However, when the real vehicles creeped by with siren blaring, Ben couldn't hide fast enough. Many of the photos I took don't show Ben because he was behind Allen terrified. Maddie cowered by Daddy, too, but from what I remember, Jon covered his ears and stood his ground shouting, "WOUD, MAMA! WOUD!" 

We went back to the house because it really was insane to be outside in the extreme heat. After a while, Randy went back for some ceremonies, then Shelley and Will went back to the park for the inflatable gyms and carnival games. Allen and I did our best to get the little ones to go to bed early. Again, it was a struggle to calm the kids so they'd rest, and it wasn't long before we woke them again. This time, we were taking them for their first fireworks show. I had some idea of what the little ones' reactions would be, and they didn't surprise me. When we were getting in the car, some neighbors were setting some off. With the first whistle and bang, Ben raced into the back of the car. Maddie cowered behind me. Jon said "Wow." When the real show started three hours after their bedtime, they were excited. Jon copied the crowd with his "Oooh! Pretty!" and later with "I want more! More fireworks!" Maddie was restless, going back and forth between the protective arms of Papa and Daddy. Ben snuggled with me or with Allen, and seemed to enjoy the beauty of the fireworks, but not the noise. As soon as he could, he started asking to go home to his bed. Was it worth it to wake them? I think so -- they are still talking about "Pretty fireworks in da sky!"
Sunday we woke up to lots and lots of rain.
The heat-relief was welcomed, but the house seemed small with four busy kids, so we let them play outside. After the kids got over the shock of being in the rain, we all enjoyed it. Nana brought out an umbrella, sidewalk chalk, riding toys, and balls, and we all had fun. 



That afternoon, Allen and I ran some errands and visited the used bookstore. Last week on the way to the beach, I read one of the Magic Tree House series to Will, and we loved it. I was on a mission to find some more of the series, but we left the store with a lot more than just the kids' books. The long-weekend seemed to end too quickly, but it was definitely a fun way to spend three days.
No comments:
Post a Comment