Thursday, July 16, 2009

Everything I need to know

I'll admit a few days this week haven't been great. They start out calm and cheerful, but defiant kids and no naps turns me into a bit of a monster. We've read a lot of Magic Treehouse this week, and managed to keep the television off for the most part, but Wednesday I gave up. I needed a little peace, so I popped Mary Poppins into the DVD player and the kids and I watched it. I don't know if it's the singing and dancing, the dreamy scenery, or the perfectly-kept house and kids, but I LOVE MARY POPPINS and enjoyed every bit of it. When it was over I was completely cheerful again, (except for the little bit of sadness I feel when the credits roll because I hate that its over.) Afterwards, I couldn't quit thinking about what a great nanny MP is and I decided to look up a list -- the "Everything-I-need-to-know-in-life-I-learned-from-Mary Poppins-list." Sadly, I couldn't find one no matter how many word combos I put through Google. So I did the next best thing and made up my own. If you find one out there, please let me know. And if you can think of more to add to the list, add it. This may very well end up being right behind my Bible for parenting guidelines around here.

Everything I need to know I learned from Mary Poppins:


  • Draw what you like, and like what you drew (Bert)

  • Our daughters' daughters will adore us (Mrs. Banks)

  • Have character that is spit spot spic and span

  • Be unique

  • A great purse can hold a lot

  • Wear sensible shoes

  • Be beautiful in a silly hat

  • Smile when you look in the mirror

  • Don't be too stern

  • Have a cheery disposition

  • Play games

  • Be witty
    Be sweet and fairly pretty

  • Sing songs

  • Never be cross or cruel

  • Find fun in mundane tasks

  • Have a merry tune

  • Never think of pressing your advantage

  • A little spontaneity keeps conversation keen

  • Feed the little birds

  • Be well-educated, yet willing to learn

  • Be clean

  • Be honest

  • Be kind

  • Don’t be tender when the going gets tough

  • Read stories without a big fuss

  • Life doesn’t have to be fair

  • Laugh (Uncle Albert)

  • Kick your knees up (The chimneysweeps)

  • Dirt washes off

  • Never smell of barley water

1 comment:

The Three D said...

Sometimes it takes a really big word to communicate exactly what you mean to say

Saving your money is important, but there are benefits to spending a little too

Burning letters in the fireplace may not be a great idea

Have your chimney cleaned regularly

A bit of fun makes even the most awful task palatable