Friday, April 9, 2010

Lists, Baseball, and 84 Meals

Looking back on the last few entries. It seems that time is crunching me too much lately, and all I have time for is lists. Looking around my house, I have found several more: a list of things to do this weekend, a list of things to do this year, a list of books to read this year, a list of plants I've put in the garden, a list for the grocery store, a list for WalMart, a list of what we have to eat this week, a list of what my friends and I will be making Monday, a list of everything I need to have and do to be ready for when they get here, a list of the baby stuff I need to gather for Jason and Jenn's baby (to come), a list of what to pack for next weekend for me, same type list for the kids, and now, a list of my lists.

It's been a busy week, but one I couldn't tell you much of what we've done since I've already forgotten. I think I've been working on those lists. Allen is working weird turn-around hours, and tasks are being rearranged. Even though I had meals neatly planned and meat thawed, by the end of the day something happens and we end up choosing to eat out. In the last four days, I've eaten out seven times. Ugh!

Last night Will had his first baseball practice. We took the little kids and let them run and play while we kept an eye on what was happening on the field. Ben, Maddie, and Jon were disappointed that they didn't get to play, but Ben and Maddie soon got over it. Jon, on the other hand, was heartbroken. When we told him he couldn't play baseball that night, he spotted a soccer ball by the goal and insisted he would play soccer. When the coaches passed the hats and jerseys out to the players, Jon threw his hat on the ground and held his hand out for a new Texas Rangers cap . . . which he didn't get. He was so frustrated that he marched up to one of the coaches and told the coach he was ready to play, too. Maybe we'll consider letting the little ones play soccer this summer, who knows? Will won't admit he was loving it, but he sure looked happy the whole time. He was first to offer to play outfield while most of the other kids lined up to learn to bat. He happily fetched the ball and took it back to the coach. When it was his turn to bat, he missed all ten times, but he looked so happy to be trying. With the weather perfect and Will so happy to be learning it was almost perfect. The down side was that we didn't get away until nearly seven, and that's when our kids are usually heading to bed. We had dinner and everyone crashed. Yes, everyone of us. I even forgot to make Will's lunch so he got to buy his lunch today.

I hate that we are eating out so often this week, but on the otherhand, when I'm running on empty somethings have to give. I'm trying to be okay with the food. Tonight, I'll have a healthy home-cooked meal on the table, and tomorrow morning I'll start the crock pot and have another. I'll get caught up.

The funny thing is that a lot of what is using my time lately is making and menu and grocery list. The ladies at my MOPS table had asked me how I prepare and freeze meals without making them taste like constant leftovers. I decided to show them how I do it. So bright and early Monday morning six of my friends are coming over with their preschoolers. Two are planning to play with the kids outside, the others will be inside preparing all these meals. Six meals, two of each, for seven families. Eighty four meals and seven loaves of bread. It has been the longest grocery list I've ever made, and it's quite a puzzle trying to figure out how to fit everything in the freezers or fridge. Trip one to the store was done yesterday with Maddie, and the nearly thirty pounds of onions have already been delivered to someone for chopping. This afternoon 30 of the 50 bell peppers are being picked up by someone else who will be chopping. (I still need to buy the other 20). I am having fun, and we all will learn what to do and not do to make this project work.

I've spent long enough writing, that now I need to get back to rearranging the freezer for shopping trip #2.

2 comments:

Doris said...

Sarah, I am a former co-worker of Shelley's. I also do the freezer meals and I would like your recipe
ideas if you get a chance to post some of them. I am amazed at all the things you do. Blessings to you!!

Sarah and the rest of the family said...

Doris, I have had many requests for the recipes. I am working on getting them posted. Here are a few that we've frozen successfully that I have posted before:
http://the6kaisers.blogspot.com/2008/08/chicken-dijon.html
http://the6kaisers.blogspot.com/2008/03/grocery-shopping-another-recipe.html
http://the6kaisers.blogspot.com/2008/07/gardenburger-recipe.html
http://the6kaisers.blogspot.com/2008/07/birthdays-vacations-and-chicken-in-bag.html

Stay tuned for more . . .