I am amazed at my attention span when it comes to Silas and Sialia. At the slightest hint that they might be active, I can sit for hours on the stairs quietly waiting for the perfect picture. Jon and Maddie will sit and wait and watch, too. Ben and Will don't mind watching, but the sitting, waiting, AND being quiet drives them crazy, so they don't last as long before they are off acting like boys. (Ben IS in the photo with Jon watching Sialia getting in the birdhouse.)
I can sometimes see the birds from the kitchen window, but when I go outside to try to get a picture, they fly away or perch high enough I can only see a silhouette. The staircase window is definitely the best place to watch. Last week I removed the screen and cleaned the window, but my favorite photos are the ones I leaned out the open window.
Sialia will peek out of the house when I call to her. Clicking seems to frustrate her, but I think she's getting used to the camera sounds. Kissy noises sound too much like a squirrel and she doesn't like that, either. So far, she seems to respond best to, "Good morning, Sialia." There have even been a few times, I've assumed she was in the house, but she was not; when I call her, she comes to the tree or fence to greet me.
The other day, I was talking with friends trying to make plans. For some reason, in my head, I had plans for the 12th. When I consulted my calendar, it was mostly blank. I've also paid attention to the weather for next Tuesday, and wondered about having the lawn mowed by then. I realized I've been planning the 12th as if there will be an avian birthday party... and that I've been invited? It IS a bit nuts, but I am willing to admit it :) ... it has just been so much fun watching these birds!!I am expecting them to hatch Tuesday, April 12th, but I might have miscounted. I was not completely sure whether she started incubating right after she laid the fifth egg or if she waited a day. Time will tell, and I'll post updates. 



















No comments:
Post a Comment