Just about the time I had to stop opening the bluebird house, the house finches made their debut! Here are the daily pictures since I last posted about this nest in our front yard.
April 18th
April 19th - A friend asked if the fuzz in the nest was dog fur -- it isn't. It looks a bit like all the cottony tree-stuff floating through the air this week (cottonwoods "shedding"??). Underneath the nest, there are a lot of white fluffy feathers.
April 20th - How about a penny to show just how small these eggs are?
April 21st - Welcome to the world #1!! I thought it was a caterpillar or huge piece of tree-fuzz at first. This little one is REALLY a fluff-ball already. This was taken around 9am, and at 1pm, it is still the only one who has "catched!" as Ben, Maddie, and Jon like to say.
April 22nd - The second fluff-ball was there when we checked the nest at 7:00 am, and the third emerged sometime between 3 and 4 in the afternoon.
April 23rd - There are still 3 chicks. They keep getting fuzzier, and it is hard to tell where one chick starts and the other ends.
April 24th - - I thought they all four were here, but eventually got a picture with an egg in it. These three fluffs are filling the nest fast. It seems that one may already be opening its eyes, but those beaks! They are a lot bigger than I thought they'd be. These fuzzy creatures look a bit cartoonish, but I can't figure out which cartoon bird they look like.
April 25th - I am no cotton farmer, but I can't help but think of a cotton boll ... or a bowl or cotton. I am ready for them to get some feathers to hide those internal organs. Its not so cute when I can see the bugs in their throats through that paper-thin skin. I have to convince myself to think "cute," but mostly that's not working. ;)










No comments:
Post a Comment