Friday night, Allen's brother's family came just before dinner, and my parents arrived soon after. Everyone came to celebrate the March of Dimes walk with us. WHAT A DAY!!! We got up bright and early and were out the door before 8:00 am. The day started off cold -- we got to the park and desparately searched for sunshine since we didn't think to bring jackets. The opening "ceremony" started, and Allen and I spoke just a few minutes. We were told to share our preemie story but keep it to around 3 minutes. We talked quickly and even had time to pass the mic around so Ben and Jon could shout, "Thank you for saving babies!" and Will could add a bit, too. Maddie just smiled.
Our family started the walk holding the March of Dimes banner, but it was a bit comical watching the little kids try to hold it up and walk since it was as tall as they were. I didn't think starting the walk would be a big deal, but I was overwhelmed with emotions as I grasped the sign and walked through the park surrounded by my family, lots of friends, and a couple hundred strangers who share our passion. It was mostly joyful to bask in the sunshine and laughter, but a little sad as I could tell by t-shirts that some families lost their preemies.
Several people were out there for a workout and we were soon being passed. Ben, insisted on staying at the front of the parade, and his little legs worked pretty hard as he chugged his arms and looked over his shoulder to make sure the runners weren't going to pass him. Poor little guy used all his energy in the first three blocks trying to stay ahead of the others. Lucky for him, his Uncle Jason loves him enough to give him the shoulder-seat for awhile. Through the two miles, our family ended up very spread out. Somehow we all found each other at the end and could stop and smile for the team picture.
I started out as captain of the Rose City Mothers of Multiples team, but I gladly let my friends on the Tyler Toddlers team adopt us. I've been leading the multiples team for three years now, and as all the multiples get older, the moms get busier and our team dwindles. It isn't a bad thing that many have moved on, but it isn't quite as fun being captain of a team of two, either. I started out a bit disappointed that we didn't have more involvement from the friends who have walked in the past, but I am thrilled to have gotten to know Natalie and Jessica as they've built the Toddlers team with several of our MOPS friends. I think we will walk as Tyler Toddlers next year because it is SO much fun to have a team of passionate participants! A few other friends joined us, too -- Emerson (who works with Allen) and Cassandra (his wife who is in bookclub with me), Misty (a mom of multiples) and her son, and all our family who came Friday.
We have so many people to thank for donations of funds, time, and encouragement. Two ladies who work with Allen, Dewana and Jennifer, couldn't make it to the walk, but they helped raise a lot of money through two fund-raisers at the office. They collected money for Blue Jeans for Babies (the office staff could make a donation and get to wear jeans for the day) and they both made a LOT of breakfast burritos to sell to all the employees. Thanks to Dewana, Jennifer, and the employees of Delek, Allen's team raised $912 -- almost double their goal of $500!! My team raised $2325 through donations from our family and friends! Maybe next year Allen and I can be on the same team and try to beat $3000. ;) Thank you all so much for your financial support and encouragment!
The March for Babies wrapped up most of our March of Dimes activities for the spring, but we are still the Ambassador Family through the end of the year. I look forward to helping with a few more events through the year if they need us to. The kids have enjoyed participating, and Allen and I have walked a fine-line between involving them and exploiting them. They've been in the newspaper. They've been in a television show. They've made the news. They've shaken hands at meetings. I'd like to think they've gained something from the experience other than camera time. Maybe, just maybe, they've gotten enough of a taste of public speaking to not be terrified for life. Maybe they've learned what it means to help others or to step-up and participate in things that can make a difference. Maybe... Hopefully.
From left to right, our family: Will, Allen, Kathy & Steve (back, my parents), Maddie, Jon, Ben, me, nephew Beckham, Jason, and Jenn.












No comments:
Post a Comment