Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chapter One Ends

Last Sunday was the last day I opened the bluebird nest box until Friday afternoon. Here are this week's pictures! Monday, we had some rain. This is Sialia taking a break on a wet branch. She is scoping out the garden before delivering dinner to the wee ones.
Tuesday, Sialia was up bright and early to feed her family fresh greens. ... really fresh (still wiggling) and really green! Silas brought the kids a plump grub, and Ben, Jon, and Maddie enjoyed watching the birds on the fence.
Wednesday, I put the zoom-lens to the test when I spotted Silas across the field, clinging to a tree as he searched for birdie snacks. Around that same time, Sialia brought a spider in for the wee ones.
Thursday, I finally had the camera handy when Silas perched. At dusk, he is often atop the swingset or on the corner of our porch roof, but only for a quick second before he spots the bugs and darts to grab them. It is so hard to catch him still long enough to focus the camera.
Friday, I saw the birdhouse looked a mess. Part of the nest was coming out. Just a few moments after I noticed that, Allen and I spotted a "different" kind of bird on the garden fence. We wondered if it was a fledgling, and just then, Sialia showed up to feed her babe breakfast. (The photos were taken right at daybreak, so they are kind of dark).
I tried walking outside to get a picture from outside our yard. I used the zoom to get one picture of the lone juvenile. Just as I clicked the button, Silas showed up to chase me away. I didn't want them upset, so I didn't get close to the little one and I left quickly when Silas told me to go.
Friday afternoon, I peeked in the hole to see if all the peeps left, and when it was empty, I opened the top and found a big mess. As I was walking back out of the garden, I found a sad, sad pile of feathers and wing parts covered in ants. I was completely heart-broken, knowing one of the bluebird family faced a violent end. I don't know if a hawk got it or something else. I don't know if it was pulled out of the nest box or was caught in flight. I know life happens and this is part of the cycle, but it stinks and it has depressed me a bit.
I don't know whether the feather pile was Sialia or one of the wee ones, but I know we have seen Silas several times, and I think I've seen some of the little ones since I found this mess. I haven't spotted Sialia since then, and none of them have been back to the birdhouse. I hope she is fine, mothering her next clutch, having moved her family from the danger-zone.

After watching the box for two days and seeing no indication that they've been back, today, Allen and I cleaned out the box and disinfected it. Now, we have a vacant bluebird home and I hope we have new nesters soon.

VACANCY! 
Clean home is move-in ready. Friendly neighborhood (mostly). Beautiful garden view. Bluebirds preferred, but everybirdy welcome who allows photographer to intrude a bit.

UPDATE - 2:54PM - Sialia is alive!! I just saw her on the fence looking like she was wondering what happened to the house...


No comments: