Last I posted was April 25th, since then, as the birds grew, the nest did, too. Oddly, the parents didn't build it up with straw, grass, and lint like the first part. Instead, it looks like they just pooped around the edge of the nest to build it up higher. I don't know for sure that is actually IS poop, but it definitely looked like it. The fluffy white chicks slowly lost their fluff and it turned to sleek brown feathers. Most of the time I photographed them, I couldn't tell how many chicks there were. Though I expected three, I usually could only see two at a time. Unlike the bluebirds, who are used to the dark birdhouse, these little birds would peek out at me, and even open their mouths for food sometimes. This nest was just above my head in an evergreen shrub, so I either held the camera up and hoped I got the shot, or I dragged a plastic chair to the tree and prayed it wouldn't tumble as I perched it on the hill next to the tree. It was difficult to always have the same angle, and difficult to get a focused photo, but I tried to get photos daily so the kids could see the changes. Nothing compared to the joy on their faces when they asked me to lift them up to see the baby birds. I wish I had captured THAT with the camera, but I never had enough hands :) Often, when I would take pictures, the daddy housefinch (Carpo) would perch in a nearby tree and talk with me. He would start out singing, then I would echo his tune, and he would continue. He was a cheerful little bird, but the female usually left when I came outside. The last picture I got of the housefinch babes was on Friday, May 6th. We left town that weekend, and when we got home Sunday, they had flown away, leaving only the bad egg. I keep hoping to see the finches in the yard, but so far I've only seen the bright red of Carpo. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm glad we got to watch this nest.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
For the Birds - Fluffs fly away
I looked back at all my bird pictures and I realized I got really behind on posting updates. Rather than narrating each photo, I'll just tell the story then post the pics.
Last I posted was April 25th, since then, as the birds grew, the nest did, too. Oddly, the parents didn't build it up with straw, grass, and lint like the first part. Instead, it looks like they just pooped around the edge of the nest to build it up higher. I don't know for sure that is actually IS poop, but it definitely looked like it. The fluffy white chicks slowly lost their fluff and it turned to sleek brown feathers. Most of the time I photographed them, I couldn't tell how many chicks there were. Though I expected three, I usually could only see two at a time. Unlike the bluebirds, who are used to the dark birdhouse, these little birds would peek out at me, and even open their mouths for food sometimes. This nest was just above my head in an evergreen shrub, so I either held the camera up and hoped I got the shot, or I dragged a plastic chair to the tree and prayed it wouldn't tumble as I perched it on the hill next to the tree. It was difficult to always have the same angle, and difficult to get a focused photo, but I tried to get photos daily so the kids could see the changes. Nothing compared to the joy on their faces when they asked me to lift them up to see the baby birds. I wish I had captured THAT with the camera, but I never had enough hands :) Often, when I would take pictures, the daddy housefinch (Carpo) would perch in a nearby tree and talk with me. He would start out singing, then I would echo his tune, and he would continue. He was a cheerful little bird, but the female usually left when I came outside. The last picture I got of the housefinch babes was on Friday, May 6th. We left town that weekend, and when we got home Sunday, they had flown away, leaving only the bad egg. I keep hoping to see the finches in the yard, but so far I've only seen the bright red of Carpo. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm glad we got to watch this nest.
Last I posted was April 25th, since then, as the birds grew, the nest did, too. Oddly, the parents didn't build it up with straw, grass, and lint like the first part. Instead, it looks like they just pooped around the edge of the nest to build it up higher. I don't know for sure that is actually IS poop, but it definitely looked like it. The fluffy white chicks slowly lost their fluff and it turned to sleek brown feathers. Most of the time I photographed them, I couldn't tell how many chicks there were. Though I expected three, I usually could only see two at a time. Unlike the bluebirds, who are used to the dark birdhouse, these little birds would peek out at me, and even open their mouths for food sometimes. This nest was just above my head in an evergreen shrub, so I either held the camera up and hoped I got the shot, or I dragged a plastic chair to the tree and prayed it wouldn't tumble as I perched it on the hill next to the tree. It was difficult to always have the same angle, and difficult to get a focused photo, but I tried to get photos daily so the kids could see the changes. Nothing compared to the joy on their faces when they asked me to lift them up to see the baby birds. I wish I had captured THAT with the camera, but I never had enough hands :) Often, when I would take pictures, the daddy housefinch (Carpo) would perch in a nearby tree and talk with me. He would start out singing, then I would echo his tune, and he would continue. He was a cheerful little bird, but the female usually left when I came outside. The last picture I got of the housefinch babes was on Friday, May 6th. We left town that weekend, and when we got home Sunday, they had flown away, leaving only the bad egg. I keep hoping to see the finches in the yard, but so far I've only seen the bright red of Carpo. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm glad we got to watch this nest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














No comments:
Post a Comment