Saturday, May 14, 2011

For the Birds - Mockingbird Whoppers are Duds

The night of April 26th, we had a very windy, rainy storm. The mockingbird nest ended up soggy and full of leaves. Though the birds may have abandoned the nest before the storm, it wasn't clear to us until after the storm that they quit caring for the nest. They didn't turn the eggs or clean up the clutter, but everytime I went outside, the two mockingbirds were nearby. I researched it a bit online and discovered that sometimes they SEEM to abandon the nest, but really DO stick around. I was hopeful that that was the situation, but hatching time came and went and still nothing changed. I quit taking pictures, but I still glanced in it every once in awhile.
Two days ago, on May 12th, I looked in and saw that the three eggs had become two eggs. I looked around the tree, but didn't see the third egg. The next day, I peeked again, and I was surprised to see that a second blue egg had been evicted, but in its place was another. The new egg was a bit smaller than the mockingbird eggs, it was bright white with crisp, dark brown speckles. I haven't figured out which bird could have done this. It looks a bit like a cardinal egg, and I know we have a pair of cardinals, but I haven't found anything saying that cardinals take over other nests, so I'm just not sure.

No comments: